weird pain in my side

wyo_sarah
on 6/25/15 9:58 am

The last couple times I've eaten (lunch and dinner yesterday and breakfast this morning) I have gotten a pain on my upper left side, kind of on my back.  At lunch I thought maybe it was because I ate too fast, but I slowed way down last night and this morning and it was still there.  I finished eating about 1.5 hours ago and I just took a drink and felt a twinge again.  Should I be concerned?

mickeymantle
on 6/25/15 11:29 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

when did you have surgery and what and how much did you eat

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

wyo_sarah
on 6/25/15 11:36 am

I'm almost 11 months post op.  yesterday for lunch I had a grilled chicken breast, a jalapeno with cream cheese and bacon, and 3 French fries.  For dinner I had a smoked pork spare rib and some popcorn, and for breakfast I had mozzarella wrapped in prosciutto and a few whole grain crackers.  I'm in maintenance now...well, I have three more pounds I would like to lose, but my doc said to stop, so that is why there are carbs.  I didn't eat anything more than usual.

Pamela M.
on 6/25/15 11:30 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

I have been experiencing the same pain for the past several months.  It almost feels like there's a "kink" in my stomach - a pinching/hurting feeling.  At my 6 month check-up the surgeon felt my tummy and said everything seemed to be fine; however, I have this pain almost every day.  I get relief by extending my torso and stretching my left arm over my head - weird but it helps.  I think it has something to do with the way I was stitched up - just a hunch - nothing scientific to back my hunch.  I know it's related to my new plumbing - never had this pain before surgery and, as I said, it's a daily occurrence.  I have just learned to live with it.  Let me know if you learn anything that would be helpful.  Thanks.

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

wyo_sarah
on 6/25/15 11:39 am

Mine just started and I'm 11 months post op.  that is what has me concerned.  It is more on my side, kind of my back, not really by my stomach.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/25/15 1:48 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If in doubt, call your surgeon's office. They'll know what questions to ask and what the possible cause(s) may be.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

wyo_sarah
on 6/25/15 3:42 pm

I called the surgeon and the nurse said it could be gas or an ulcer.  My friend thinks more likely it could be my gallbladder.  The nurse said to take some previcid for a week and if it doesn't get better to call back.

hollykim
on 6/25/15 3:35 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 25, 2015 at 9:58 AM Pacific Time, wyo_sarah wrote:

The last couple times I've eaten (lunch and dinner yesterday and breakfast this morning) I have gotten a pain on my upper left side, kind of on my back.  At lunch I thought maybe it was because I ate too fast, but I slowed way down last night and this morning and it was still there.  I finished eating about 1.5 hours ago and I just took a drink and felt a twinge again.  Should I be concerned?

could be your gallbladder,if you still have it.

wyo_sarah
on 6/25/15 3:43 pm

That's what I'm worried about. :(

rezilliance
on 6/25/15 4:21 pm
VSG on 06/03/14

Sounds very similar to what I went through for many months post-op. My surgeon initially suggested it could be gastritis or a bacterial infection and ran some tests, but it definitely was not. In April this year I ended up in the ER when the pain became very severe. Right away I was diagnosed with a gallbladder colic attack and I was hospitalized for 3 days. I had my gallbladder removed about 3 weeks later. I'm doing much, much better now.

It might be worth suggesting to your GP and getting an ultrasound to see what's happening for sure. It's not something you want to wait on for too long if that is the problem.

Good luck, hope everything works out! ♥

Age: 38 | Height: 5'5.5" | Surgery Date: June 3, 2014 | VSG | HW: 380 | SW: 340 | CW: 237 | GW: 168

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 144 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 417 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 437 views