Encouragement needed- not losing & feeling disappointed in myself.

shopaholic2014
on 6/26/15 9:47 am

I had surgery on March 17, 2015. I have lost a total of 60lbs. I was down to 153lbs at one point and am currently 160lbs- and feel completely stuck. I had lost all of that weight in the first 8 months, losing nothing since. (I had a miscarriage in December and got down to 149 but I attribute this to fluid/ blood loss.) I even picked up my exercise and watched my carbs even more closely- nothing. And at times I feel I can eat way too much for having had this surgery. It's never a lot, but it's not 4oz like many others still stick to. What can I do to lose the last 20lbs!? The last thing I want to do is gain the weight back- that literally terrifies me.

How much do you eat a day? I usually aim for 800-1,000 calories.

How much can you eat at one time? I can eat a 6" sub on flatbread from subway (maybe once a month. I usually eat no bread) Is this too much?

I've heard the stomach can stretch, and I've heard others say their drs say this isn't true. Anyone have first hand advice from their drs?

I'm a year out from surgery and looking into diet pill options. That makes me feel like a failure. Others have lost so much more 15 months post op

shopaholic2014
on 6/26/15 9:51 am

Surgery was 2014, not 2015

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/15 9:55 am

Do NOT be discouraged! Be honest with yourself and find whatever it is that you can do better and hold yourself accountable. I posted a very similar question yesterday and this thread may help you. I am almost 2 years out and only had one followup EVER due to moving out of state going through a separation etc a LOT of real life issues but I realized I HAVE to make this priority regardless of what's going on in life. You came here seeking help so you are on the right track. I have an appt July 7 with a surgeon here and I will be asking him these things and I will let you know. I am also scared about the stretching of the sleeve. 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/5362632/Close-to-2-years-out-and-need-help-VETS-input-appreciated/action,replies/topic_id,5362632/page,1/

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/26/15 10:26 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Most folks eat between 600 - 800 during the weight-loss phase, and 1000 - 1200 during maintenance. If you're not losing, you probably need to cut back on calories-- and track your food to make sure you're recording accurately.

Everyone loses differently, in particular if they were heavier to start with. Don't compare!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

cappy11448
on 6/26/15 10:57 am

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you are frustrated.  Weight loss really falls off significantly with time.  The last three months, I only lost about 3 pounds per month, compared to 15 to 20 pounds per month at first.  But if you are getting close to your goal, then you are probably feeling healthier and have more energy.  I'd suggest just taking it slow and sticking to your plan.  You can do this.

I did weigh and measure all my food until I started maintenance.  I logged it all meticulously in myfitnessPal.  I kept my carbs really low - below 25 g per day until I was in maintenance.  Now I allow myself some carbs every day but I am very aware that it is risky, and just today, I decided to cut all carbs for a while because my weight is approaching my upper limit. 

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Mary Gee
on 6/26/15 12:25 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Don't you go near those diet pills -- you'll regret it!!!  

Get back to dense protein.  White Dove mentioned on another thread ..... roast a turkey breast, cook a roast, put a chicken in your crock pot...  Stay away from Subway.  Get your calories back under 800.  Work it like you're a month out of surgery........Pre-plan, use myfitnesspal, track carbs/calories/protein/fluids and meet your daily goals.  That's what you have to do if you want to reach goal.

You know what they say......When the going gets tough, the tough get going.  Pills will just lead to failure......they're something people try before they chose WLS....another crazy thing we all tried, and we all failed at.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/26/15 12:56 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

What helps me is to BE PREPARED and have meals planned out in advance.  I try to avoid eating processed foods - and yes, I consider Subway a processed food.  I CAN eat maybe 5 ounces, but I CHOOSE to eat between 3-4 ounces.  It's amazing how little food you really need to be satisfied.  If you don't weigh out your food, now is a great time to start.  I found this digital food scale on Amazon.  It doesn't take up much space and is simple to use.  If I'm cooking something in my slow cooker, I'll portion the leftovers out, weigh them on the scale and freeze them in plastic containers.  I always have something I know that is dense protein, measured and ready to eat.  It helps to stay away from the "I'm tired and don't feel like cooking anything" mentality.

Are you tracking everything you eat using an app like My Fitness Pal?  If you're truly eating between 800-1,000 calories per day, you should be losing weight.  But if you're not tracking accurately, it's easier to underestimate how many calories you consume.  

Diet pills are a bad idea.  They didn't work before surgery and they won't work long term after surgery.  You have to modify your behavior.  At one year out, it gets more difficult because you have seen a substantial decrease in your weight.  But it's time to remain diligent and dedicated to making better choices.

You know what you have to do.  Get back to the basics, eat dense protein, track what you're eating, drink plenty of fluids and maybe join a support group to keep your mind in the game.  Have you considered therapy?  I don't know what type of eater you are (I'm a compulsive-emotional eater) and it takes work to view food as just something to fuel your body.

Your sleeve can relax over time, but it will never approach the size of your pre-op stomach.  The restriction is still there.  You just have to eat the proper foods and stay away from carbs.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active