Setbacks...

TheTurtleLady88
on 7/2/15 11:43 pm - Wilmington, NC
VSG on 11/12/15

I am in the process of getting medical clearance for my VSG, every time there is a setback it pushes me a month further from getting my date. My last appointment before approval is August 11th but I started this process in April. It's rather discouraging but I know that this is absolutely worth waiting for. I attend my first support group next week and have been reading up on the procedure (suggested at the psychiatric evaluation). I have never had any kind of surgical procedure and that is making me very nervous as well. I would appreciate any advice that could be given about the befores and afters of the procedure as well as what to expect from someone who has been through this already. Thanks so much in advance! 

Samantha 

cappy11448
on 7/3/15 9:45 am

I was also very nervous before my surgery and it was such a piece of cake.  I had a laparoscopic procedure and there was little pain. I had no nausea thanks to the powerful anti-nausea drugs I asked for, and I didn't have a lot of gas pain.  I was up and walking later that day, and went home the next day, a day earlier than expected.  So being nervous is normal, but try not to worry ahead of time, because often people come thru it like I did, and its a lot of worry for nothing.  (Plus I was 64 and weighed 333 pounds at surgery!) 

The only advice I'd give is

1. Follow your program.  It'll bring you success.
  2. Use your time before surgery to lose as much weight as you can.  You'll be so glad if you do.
  3. Use your time before surgery to get in healthy habits. ie no liquids with meals, eating small meals, eating slowly, chewing well, dense protein first, no snacking, etc..  All of these will pay off big-time after surgery.

Best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

TheTurtleLady88
on 7/8/15 9:22 pm - Wilmington, NC
VSG on 11/12/15

Thank you! I really appreciate it. 

Samantha 

gwen41539
on 7/3/15 11:53 am - kimper, KY

The incisions will be small I have had lap band and  c sections trust me the c section was awful compared to lap.band lol this will be similar to lap band maybe more.nausea walking will be most important...to get rid of the gas they pump into you lol when I had a c section I wasn't told this the first time and didn't get up fast enough and boy oh boy I thought I was dying...with my lap band I was.up.walking the floor all the time it helps.so much I walked and walked

1.Helps.expel gas

2.I didn't have anything else to do

3. Keeps blood clots at.bay

4.helps.with stiffness 

It will be easy when you are all.done you will be like wow that wasn't.bad at.all...

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

TheTurtleLady88
on 7/8/15 9:23 pm - Wilmington, NC
VSG on 11/12/15

Thank you! I really appreciate it. I know recently I've been worried about stiffness because of my back problems...laying flat is a difficult thing to do and I was worried that would affect me at first. 

Samantha 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views