From Lapband to Sleeve

AngelaLynn11
on 7/8/15 11:01 pm

I currently have a lapband (2007) but am considering revising to sleeve or bypass.  I have some complications with the band and my doctor says I'm a good candidate for revision.

My understanding is the the sleeve is much like the band without the complications like food getting stuck or the office visits for adjustments.  Has anyone gone from band to sleeve?  I've been reading the revision posts but haven't found much info specifically about how the two compare. 

Also, why did you choose sleeve instead of the bypass? 

Thanks!!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/15 1:59 pm

There have been many successful lap band to sleeve revisions here on the VSG board. One is USAF Wife. Another that comes to mind is Greg M. You can check out their profiles and perhaps send them a Personal Message or read over their previous posts to understand how successful they have been.

It seems to me most people who make the switch have preferred the sleeve to the lap band.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/9/15 4:20 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I chose the sleeve over the rny mainly because I didn't want my intestines rerouted, & while those with the rny initially lose weight more quickly in the beginning over the sleevers, years later, maybe around 5, the stats between the 2 are pretty close together., but the malabsorption of calories is likely gone by that point, but the malabsorption of nutrients is for life. I wasn't comfortable with that.

I also have a sweet tooth, & while some people dump, a small amount of people do, there was a greater chance that I wouldn't dump. Either way, I didn't want to take the chance, that's not to say that I didn't give up or severely cut back on sweets. I just didn't want it to be a punishment.

I figure this is for life, there's a lot of adjusting, & I know that I do screw it up sometimes, but I learn from it. I've got a lifetime of bad habits that I'm working on, some days good, some not, just remember you can eat around any surgery.

Read all you can & decide which is best for you. Good Luck!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Seemeslimmer
on 7/9/15 5:51 pm - Bardstown, KY
I had lapband and it was not a fit for me. Sick, Food stuck, bad GERD. Had the lapband removed and a VSG performed a few years ago. Not the issues with sickness at all. I have been over eating lately and need to rein that in, but have not regained much weight. I am not a meat eater, so I have a hard time eating firm proteins that would keep me more satiated. Have GERD, but not as bad as with lap band. I didn't want the extremeness of bypass.

Good luck with your choice.
      See  
spuddzy
on 7/9/15 6:00 pm - NY

I had revision in december and I'm so happy/ had the sleeve and love it.  it was the best decision I've made plus getting that band out. no more stuck food. I hope you consider the sleeve you wont regret it...

spuddzy

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 396 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 425 views