Acid Reflux

AngelaLynn11
on 7/10/15 10:50 pm

Hello All!

I'm wondering how many are having acid reflux?  I did a search and read a thread from a year or so ago.  Several people responded saying they have HORRIBLE acid reflux.  One of the reasons for revising my lap band is due to acid reflux among some other things. 

I'm interested to know if you do or don't have acid reflux? 

TIA (Considering revision from lap band to sleeve :)

Angela 

~Banded 7/2007, removal and revision needed.

HW 325; Lap-band 2007; LW 225; GW: 150

rocky513
on 7/11/15 4:42 am - WI

VSG has been known to make GERD symptoms worse.  I had severe GERD and had RNY because of it.  I woke up from surgery GERD free!  I have not had an acid reflux symptom since.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

roxytrim
on 7/11/15 5:32 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Before surgery I seldom had acid reflux.  My surgeon warned be that I might develop GERD after I was sleeved - and asked me several times if I experienced acid reflux before surgery.

Because I knew this going in I was prepared to take a PPI every morning & I do go through the occasional couple of days a month that I need to take an over the counter PPI.  For me it is worth the tradeoff to have the VSG. My sister had presurgery GERD has not had it since being sleeved - so go figure.  I have noticed when I am more careful and only eat to 80-90% fullness it keeps it in check.  I am going to work on that.

gwen41539
on 7/11/15 8:03 am - kimper, KY

Im a former lap banded will be sleeved this Monday my Dr warned me I could be reflux more easily because I was a banster first .....not what I wanted to hear ....He said if i was severe I would have to converted to rny I guess I will cross thqt bridge if and when I have too hopefully never...I did have reflux once when my band was too tight it was awful

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

pandemonium
on 7/11/15 1:27 am, edited 7/11/15 1:29 am

I did not have acid reflux before surgery. My only complication from VSG is the development of Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (Silent Reflux). 

I have to take actual Prilosec to keep the phlegm in check. Nexium and offbrands don't work on me at all. With daily Prilosec, I'm fine.

Hislady
on 7/11/15 6:22 pm - Vancouver, WA

The sleeve is not advised for people with reflux most times they are advised to have the bypass or RNY for get rid of the acid. I couldn't imagine having to live with constant GERD I had it bad enough with the band. I had my band removed but did not revise to another surgery.

AngelaLynn11
on 7/11/15 6:45 pm

If you had the lap band before the sleeve and had acid reflux...What caused it for you? 

For me its because my pouch is stretched so the acids build up there and when I lay down at night it flows into my esophagus or somewhere.  It ONLY happens at night to me after I lay down for awhile and usually it wakes me up.  I'm not sure this is considered GERD?  I did tell my surgeon so he knows and he still suggested I get a sleeve.  

Angela 

~Banded 7/2007, removal and revision needed.

HW 325; Lap-band 2007; LW 225; GW: 150

Valerie G.
on 7/14/15 4:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Sleeve stomachs do have a reputation to make GERD worse, however some say their problems are no more, so it's going to be a gamble.  Surgeons often turn those with reflux in the direction of the RNY, for it seems to cure most immediately.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 394 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views