Allergic to Sugar Free Products....Options??

Amber2280
on 7/13/15 10:57 am

Hi All, I have just begun my journey with VSG! I plan to have my surgery in Oct and am so excited to read all of your posts and information! It has been such an encouragement and source of confirmation for me that I am doing the right thing! My question for you guys is this. I have a pretty significant allergy to all the different artificial sweeteners, even stevia and some of the "natural" ones give me problems.....I see alot of posts referring to different products used by people but when I check into them they have ingredients I can't consume. 1.) Is there anyone else with this same kind of issue?  2.) Do you guys have any suggestions for pre-op, post-op, protein shakes, etc. items that do not have sugar free ingredients?  Thanks in advance! Amber

drea29
on 7/13/15 5:39 pm

I also am unable to have any artificial sweeteners as well as many restrictions with my food plan to due medical issue.  In the beginning I used unflavored protein powder.  I still do sometimes.  I basically eat whole foods.  I can't tolerate MSG or anything that says natural flavoring.  If i can't pronounce it, I don't eat it.  It is totally doable. I used unjury protein powder which I purchased online.  I didn't do sugar free ice pops.  I would just sip my water at room temperate all day.  I can tolerate sugar, but don't eat it.  

Amber2280
on 7/13/15 8:45 pm

Thank you for the reply! Do you mind sharing the brand of the protein powder you used?? Thanks again it is nice to know I am not alone :)

Amber   

"I was born to be a nurse; to comfort, to aid, to save, to teach, to inspire.

It's My Calling, My Passion, My World...It's My Life!"  

drea29
on 7/14/15 5:37 am

I use UNJURY.  I buy it online.  I know there are others I just found this one.  It has 21 grams of protein in each scoop.  It is not recommended to mix with jus****er.  I did skim milk at first and then switched to cocunut milk to reduce carb intake.

happyteacher
on 7/14/15 6:53 am

Not all stevia brands are good, as many have a blend of crap in them. Have you tried a version that is pure extract and no blended crap? I use this one and it is very good.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/15 7:31 am

I have a lot of allergies too, but I can have Stevia. Myquestion is do you mind sharing how it affects you? The reason I ask is a lot of products with stevia also add inulin. I found if it had more than 2 grams fiber from inulin I would have similar unpleasant gastro issues that I would get with common sweeteners like splenda, aspartame....etc. Try the stevia ones again but check for the insulin level and see if it has better results. Vitamin shoppe has a lot of options. You can find single samples there from raw fit, next step, plnt by plant protein, Vega, orgain, and coco protein. There are also some great liquid vitamin options there that are sweetened with stevia. Also injury makes a chicken soup protein shake and celebrate makes a tomato soup one. I found isopure unflavored mixes the best so if stevia is not an option try that.

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/15 7:33 am

My phone is auto correcting in my post...if it says insulin...replace it with inulin...its fiber commonly from chickoty root.

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/15 7:34 am

Ugh typos...chickory

Amber2280
on 7/14/15 8:40 am

My experience with anything synthetic is extreme gastro upset and diarrhea. I appreciate the info about the stevia, I will have to try some pure stevia.   Haha about the name of that protein! Didn't realize that was the actual name the first time! I thought it was a typo! :)

Amber   

"I was born to be a nurse; to comfort, to aid, to save, to teach, to inspire.

It's My Calling, My Passion, My World...It's My Life!"  

Rachel B.
on 7/14/15 12:36 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I used unjury early in post-surg.  It's nice that you can gently warm it, especially the chicken broth flavor.  I don't know where to get it anymore...

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Most Active