Slow-down

ErinNikki
on 7/13/15 11:05 am
VSG on 12/11/14

I know everyone is different. That said, I am about 7 months out and my weight-loss has slowed. I was averaging about 12 lbs. a month and am now about 8 lbs. a month. I am not complaining and the scale is going in the right direction, but I was wondering if any of you experienced a slow-down after about 6 months. I knew it would slow as I got closer to my goal. I am eating perfectly (getting all my protein and water and staying at 800 calories of less) so I am not concerned about that. Just curious about your experience. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/13/15 11:15 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I think this happens to most people. I had a pretty serious slowdown seven months in, though part of it was because I was slacking on my water and protein and exercise.

Just think of it this way, could you have lost 8lb/month before surgery AND kept it off?? Keep it up and you'll get there!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

frisco
on 7/13/15 11:28 am

Your right on point, keep on doin what your doing !!!

Your body is running way more efficient and requires fewer calories to function and is working far less without the extra weight.

Just think how many more cals you would burn if you carried a 100lbs. backpack around 24/7.

Don't fall into the trap when some people may suggest adding calories.

Keep up the great work !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/15 12:24 pm

Not to worry! Keep doing what you're doing and the weight will continue to come off. As Frisco said, you weigh less now so it takes fewer calories to operate which in turn means that your calorie deficit is smaller than it was at the beginning. When your calorie deficit is smaller the natural outcome is less weight lost each month.

My last two months I lost 6 the first and 5 pounds the second and then hit goal. I had also been averaging about 10-12 pounds per month the first 5 months. (My slow down was at 5 months).

One thing you can do, which I did, was to up my protein level, but leave calories the same. That meant reducing either fat or carbs. That seemed to really help me.

Sandra F.
on 7/14/15 5:55 am

I stalled month 5-6, lost nothing, so the fact that you are still losing is a blessing.  And yes it slowed down after that, but I am still losing (9 months out).  I found that decreasing my carbs helped kick start my weight loss again.  Good luck to you!

happyteacher
on 7/14/15 6:15 am

Yep. Check out my signature. Towards the last couple months the rate slowed. One key reason though is that the amount of weight lost is relative to whatever your current weight is. So when I was a lot heavier, I pulled bigger numbers. When I was closer to goal the scale would show less of a loss, but percentage wise it was still significant. Just hang in there, as there is nothing wrong with 8 pounds a month!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 64 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 247 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views