Need advice - throwing up too much....

gettingreal
on 7/13/15 5:55 pm

I'm four weeks out from VSG.  All went well, and I'm progressing along the food schedule as outlined.  Last Wednesday, my NUT shifted me to "soft chopped" which is awesome.  Mostly I'm doing okay, but I'm finding that I'm throwing up too often.  Something that was fine yesterday made me throw up today.  Scrambled eggs that were great a week ago made me sick on Sunday.  It may be the speed I'm eating - when I have limited time to eat, I do probably go too quickly.  But not always.  Anyone else experience this?  I'm reverting to protein shakes when I'd really like some food....

Also, weight loss has been good but slowed down after week two.  Have been only about 2 pounds a week down since then.  I'm on the low side of protein - lucky to get to 60....

Thoughts?

TeressaJ
on 7/13/15 7:47 pm

When I was first allowed soft foods, at 6 weeks out, I threw up a lot. I finally figured out it was either eating too fast or eating while stressed. Any kind of stress, good or bad, that made me produce any stomach acid caused me to throw up. Later, when I finally learned to eat super slow, I could tell within  the first 2 or 3 bites if I was going to be able to eat 4 oz. I told my doctor it felt like the top of my stomach felt more closed up during times of stress and putting too much food in would inevitably mean throwing up. I still have that problem @ 12 months out but I have finally learned to slow down or save the food for later when I can eat slow. Good luck!

gettingreal
on 7/15/15 4:59 am

That's EXACTLY what I feel - like the top of my stomach is closed off.  2 bites and I know if it's going to go down.  Other times it feels fine - I just get full quickly.  I'll slow down..... and try to find my inner "zen"!

Lovesweets1960
on 7/13/15 8:14 pm

I throw up if I don't chew my food enough or try to swallow too big a bite, or if the food is too dry.  But before I throw up I have the most God awful pain.  Throwing up makes the pain go away.  I rarely get any protein, I don't care for the protein shakes.  And hardly any water.  Got my sleeve April 25 and have lost 40 pounds so far.  I'm lucky if I get in 500 calories a day cause I just don't have an appetite.  

Good luck to you.

hollykim
on 7/14/15 7:24 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 13, 2015 at 8:14 PM Pacific Time, Lovesweets1960 wrote:

I throw up if I don't chew my food enough or try to swallow too big a bite, or if the food is too dry.  But before I throw up I have the most God awful pain.  Throwing up makes the pain go away.  I rarely get any protein, I don't care for the protein shakes.  And hardly any water.  Got my sleeve April 25 and have lost 40 pounds so far.  I'm lucky if I get in 500 calories a day cause I just don't have an appetite.  

Good luck to you.

your body IS getting protein though. It is breaking down your muscles,your heart,lungs kidneys,and muscles to get the protein it needs. You need to get with the program and fast.

Oneillch
on 7/14/15 12:04 pm, edited 7/14/15 12:04 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

Lovesweets,

You have to make the effort to stay hydrated and to get that protein! If you don't like any of the protein shakes try adding an unflavored protein powder to a soup or coffee. Or make your own protein shakes with the protein powder. Blend it with unsweetened almond or cashew milk with either a sweetener or some sugar free Torani syrup and ice. I also like to add a tablespoon of a sf ff pudding mix & ff sour cream or lf greek yogurt. 

gettingreal
on 7/15/15 5:02 am

Thanks!  The food too dry could be an additional thing I'll need to watch.  I do have some pain, but it's not awful.  Just an immediate sense that I'm going to throw up.  Mouth watering like crazy, run to the bathroom kind of feeling. 

Your weight loss is awesome!  Congrats!!

mmsmom
on 7/14/15 4:29 am - Woburn, MA

eating too fast or eating too much at once - and 2 lbs a week is huge - I wouldn't expect more than that - or even that every week

VSG on 04/28/2014

Luvmygs
on 7/14/15 7:45 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Wow, four weeks and already allowed to have soft foods. I was advanced to puree at 4 weeks. Your stomach is still in the healing process. Take it slow if you continue on soft foods. I didn't start eating eggs until 6 weeks and I could only handle egg whites. Soft foods for me that were good; puddings, cottage cheese, cheese, canned green bean and refried beans. Very important to introduce a new food one at a time. If the vomiting persist, please call your doctor.

TexanSleever86
on 7/14/15 7:59 pm
VSG on 06/17/15

My doc also allowed me to progress to soft food at 4 weeks (which is tomorrow).  But this really comes with the stipulation that I could handle puree for two weeks first. I am still doing puree/smashed up foods and I am having the same issues with not consistently tolerating foods - avocado works one day, but not the next.  I do not throw up however.. the food will sit there and give me excruciating pain for 45 minutes.  Right beneath my ribs.  It is awful.  I am still not sure if it is from one (tiny) bite too many or possibly eating too quickly (I am trying to go slow slow slow, but sometimes I will take two consecutive bites without thinking...).  I have been using protein shakes to get my protein in while I am experimenting with different foods to test my tolerance. 

If you keep throwing up I would talk to your doctor.  The main issue is that vomiting puts strain on the stomach, which is not fully healed.  Weeks 2-3 I was vomiting due to EVERYTHING making me feel nauseous from smell/taste after one bite.  My dr told me to go back to clear liquid for 24-48 hours to "reset."  Then I went back to whatever stage I was on and it was so much better.

Maybe also try measuring out your food so you can find your current limit and stay there for a week or so.  You may not be able to fill up to full capacity yet (I definitely am not able to!).  And chew chew chew chew.  My NUT suggested an egg timer to make sure you chew for a whole minute before swallowing. Good luck!!

5'6"  HW: 264 SW: 252 CW: 173 GW: 150

Most Active