"I hope you don't develop an eating disorder."

Sandra F.
on 7/15/15 7:07 am

Someone said this to me yesterday.  Really?  I have lost 95 lbs and need to lose 33 more.  Just because I have lost weight does NOT mean in any way that I will ever develop an eating disorder.  Given that I had weight loss surgery and this person knows that, how one thing equates to the other, I have no idea.  Jealous much?  Thanks for letting me rant!

E_Saenz
on 7/15/15 7:23 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

1St of all congratulations your almost to goal 2ndly people that know you fat will never really understand what you have gone through unless they have done it too.  3Rdly you have done this for you no one elses approval is necessary.

Elia Maria Saenz

Grim_Traveller
on 7/15/15 7:27 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I've had a couple of people say that to me, because I still weigh and log all my eating. My weight has been rock steady for two years. I don't know if this is an eating disorder, but if it is, I can live with it. 

When I weighed 475 pounds, I absolutely had an eating disorder. One I couldn't live with.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

lcraver
on 7/16/15 6:44 am - Knightdale, NC
RNY on 03/02/15

If you had a problem with morbid obesity, you had an eating disorder. And, I know for myself, just a few months in, if I am not obsessive with what goes in my mouth, WLS will not be a success for me. 

So, count me in, I have an eating disorder. 

Highest weight - 440 lbs, Surgery weight - 395 lbs, Current weight - 291 lbs.

Tracy D.
on 7/15/15 7:28 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Most of us who got VSG already HAD an eating disorder - compulsive overeating or binge eating disorder.  The surgery is what helps us get a handle on it.  

We do have to remain aware so we don't just flip the coin and go the other direction but I doubt you're in any danger of that.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/15 11:04 am

I'm going to add to what Tracy and Grimm wrote to say that, yes, I think all of us who ended up obese had some level or degree of disordered eating. I also believe that eating disorders never, ever go away. That is why there is a huge percentage of regain. (Myself included.)

What we can do is learn to manage our disordered eating. For some like Grimm, it happens more easily (note that he still weighs and measures EVERYTHING! Awesome!). For some, like me, I had to learn how deeply disordered my eating was and how intensely emotionally driven my eating was. Without VSG I never, ever would have understood this. 

As for your "friend", I'd look at her and smile and say, "Thanks, I appreciate your concern, but you don't need to worry about me. I'm keeping my house clean. Maybe you ought to think about how to clean up yours instead of worrying about mine."

Okay, you probably can't say that, but you can think it!

Sandra F.
on 7/16/15 5:36 am

I don't know if a doctor would have ever put me in the category of having an eating disorder before I lost weight but I'm sure that I was probably close to it.  People say some of the most ridiculous things when they don't quite know what to say or they are jealous.  This particular person also asked me if I was going through a mid-life crisis last week, so I think I just need to ignore her.  She asked about the mid-life crisis because I cut my hair significantly and pierced my upper ear.  She is a co-worker, not a friend, and I am going to start ignoring her ignorant comments, but thank you guys for letting me vent and understanding my rant!

AmyDee123
on 7/16/15 6:28 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

At some point, if she continues, you will need to pull her aside and let her know that her comments about your personal life and what you might be going through are highly inappropriate and that you need them to stop.  They have no bearing on what is going on at work and are unwanted by you.  If she then does not stop you need to go talk to HR.  Comments like that in the work place are not only uncalled for but are sometimes a manipulation technique.  A way to undermine you.  this happens a lot in office politics.  Hopefully a friendly chat 1 on 1 will resolve the issue, but if not HR can always step in.  You should not have to work in a hostile work environment and this is the beginning of one.  

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)