Do you get a full feeling when drinking protein shakes?

deedeetris
on 7/19/15 2:33 pm

Hi there:  I am pretty new here and this is my first question.  It doesn't seem like I get a full feeling when drinking a protein shake.  I only drink 4 oz and then stop, but it seems like I can do more, although I have not tried that!  Prior to the sleeve, I would drink one and then feel full for awhile.  It's not a terrible problem, just one of those "huh??" moments!!  As you get used to being sleeved, do you find that you are more in-tune with your body and do hunger/fullness signals come in more clearly?  Thanks so much for your thoughts!  Dee

Mary B.
on 7/19/15 4:02 pm - AZ
VSG on 04/23/15

As I understand it, liquid runs through your stomach when the pyloric valve opens (See Frisco's post after yours), so there's no restriction when you drink the protein shake.  I always drink a full 8 oz at one time.  I am getting used to reading fullness signals from my sleeve.  However, it's still hard to tell real hunger from head hunger.  I still have a problem resisting food I've bought, all healthful, since it still "calls to me."  I'm working on that now. 

Age 63, HW 289, SW 273

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/19/15 4:33 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Liquids do not make you feel full-- they run right through your stomach. Stick with dense protein to feel full!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

gwen41539
on 7/19/15 4:43 pm - kimper, KY

I am one week post op and liquids fill me up but just for a few moments and then they are gone....I drink 2 shakes a day and 2 bottles Crystal light or water plus a yogurt or jello or.creamy soup or something everyday and the full feeling lasts for a few moments and goes away  but I also know how much I'm supposed to have and drink that much you have measure the protein and yogurt etc has calories the Crystal light is a free food lol I drink as much of it as I want but I sip no gulps their is nothing inside to stop liquids from running through there they just go slower ..

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

deedeetris
on 7/19/15 5:47 pm

Thanks so much--I checked out Frisco's post and that was helpful, too!!!   I start on pureed foods on Wednesday and I am really looking forward to it--I feel like I am always "eating" but never actually eating!  :)   Have a good night and thanks again!  

BabyBlues79
on 7/19/15 6:04 pm
VSG on 05/07/15

I've read liduids run right through you but I can't finish a full protein shake. I don't know why

Tracy D.
on 7/20/15 7:09 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Nope, never did.  Any liquid pretty much runs right through your stomach in just a few minutes.  

My hunger signals are a lot like excess-acid signals so I have to be careful.  New hunger signals are when I start to get snappy or crabby...I'm probably hungry even if the stomach isn't signaling that to my brain.  Fullness still feels the same but I try to avoid that because it indicates I've gone WAY too far with food if I'm feeling it.  Other fullness signals are hiccups and a runny nose.  Again, both signs I've probably overdone it.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/15 10:57 am

Fullness still feels the same? Meaning you feel the same kind of full you felt as a pre op? If that is the case, I envy you that. I hate, hate, hate the feeling I get when I'm full. That is one thing I wish I had been aware of prior to VSG. When I read about "restriction" I assumed it meant feeling a "normal" full with very little food. Ha, not so in my case! Full is very different now.

As for feeling "full" for me there is nothing pleasant about it. I had to learn to identify the new cues that indicate satiety - especially before reaching "full".

poplargreys
on 7/20/15 11:18 am
VSG on 03/31/15

Same here, my post-op 'full' feeling is incredibly unpleasant and I go to great lengths to avoid it. Yuck.

deedeetris
on 7/20/15 4:12 pm

Thanks for the replies!  This morning, I found out that I get hiccups if I eat too much!  Luckily, it was only about one small teaspoon, so I didn't have any serious problems, but I'm glad that I have that indicator.  I'll keep working on this.  So far, so good.  I think I'm going to like the sleeved life!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 313 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views