Extreme dieters preop VSG please chime in

kerbear1969
on 7/21/15 3:57 am - MD

Im an extreme dieter so much so that I think diets stopped working for me.  Did the VSG work for you? I fear Im hardly doing anything now with the preop diet drinking 4 shakes per day maybe a cup of coffee (decaf) with skim milk and have only lost a couple of pounds, the scale goes up and down pretty much the same.  Im so nervous even having surgery and hardly eating anything I won't lose, I think my metabolism is broke. 

KansasPrincess
on 7/21/15 6:23 am - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

i feel the same way. i havent got my surgery scheduled yet. and i just got off phentermine and in 3 mo, i only lost 12 pounds. im worried that when i have to do the pre op liquid diet that i wont lose either. and then even more worried that once i have the surgery that i will not lose the weight. ive been told numerous times that i have a very slow metabolism. so very worried as well. hope all goes well for you!

HEIGHT 5'6" HW: 422.7 CW: 267.8 SURGERY DATE: 10/15/15 GW:160-170 VSG IN TIJUANA MEXICO WITH DR. JAIME PONCE DE LEON- REVISION TO RNY WITH DR. J. STEPHEN SCOTT, KS. 10/16/18

E_Saenz
on 7/21/15 7:23 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

If you follow the doctors instructions and sip your water quantity and get your protine you will lose.  If you consume too many carbs you will stop the losing process so stick to your plan and you will have success!

Elia Maria Saenz

Mary Gee
on 7/21/15 7:25 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Your metabolism isn't broke.  Just keep reading, reading, and reading some more.  Have you read everything under "Resources" at the top of the page?  Are there any support groups in your area that you can attend?  Have you found other Boards or FB Groups regarding the WLS way of life?  Do you read the posts here?  Do you look at people's signature lines where they indicate their starting weight, their goal weight, and their current weight?  I think you'll see 99% of the people who post are glad with whichever surgery they've had and they indicate they would do it all again in an instant and/or they wish they did it years ago.  

When I discovered this board I had just started The Journey and didn't know anything about the different types of surgeries.  If you stick to your program, and follow all your surgeon's guidelines, you will lose weight.  You've got to use all the tools, and not just rely on the surgery.  You need to pre-plan, you need to weigh and measure, you need to track your intake, you need to drink your fluids.  Follow the whole package and the weight will fall off.  If you read posts here, you'll see some people do not lose weight as quickly as they think they should -- but if you read closely, you'll generally see that they are not following the guidelines, they've strayed off the path.  WLS is not "the easy way" -- but it's the successful way.

Have faith!!  Would this site be as active as it is if WLS didn't work??  Most of us have tried "every diet in the book" in the past, and have not been successful.

I'd say "Best of Luck" to you -- but this has nothing to do with Luck -- it takes time, effort and commitment!

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

E_Saenz
on 7/21/15 8:54 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Thanks for the great post I will keep this all in mind for me too!

Elia Maria Saenz

psychoticparrot
on 7/21/15 1:32 pm

Diets work short-term, but they're not a long-term solution, which is especially true of extreme diets. Once I hit 200 pounds, I was unable to lose more than 15 pounds on any "diet" I tried. 

And you're right about your metabolism being off-kilter. It isn't broken, but it's not normal at high weights. A great book to read about this subject is "Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity and Disease," by Robert Lustig. I highly recommend it for its clear explanation of how the body (mal)functions at very high weights. 

I was also very afraid that VSG would not work for me. In addition to my many diet attempts, I got the Lap-Band in 2004. It did nothing; it was worse than nothing. I got a band-to-sleeve revision in early February this year. All I can say is, the sleeve works! It's the only thing that has. I'm only halfway to my goal, but I feel almost 100% better than I did at my high weight.

It will work for you. Your metabolism is not beyond saving! Good luck.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Oneillch
on 7/21/15 6:30 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

What VSG did for me is give me a way of knowing when I was full. Whenever I attended WW, the leaders would always tell me to just stop eating when I was full, but I never knew when that was. I don't eyeball anything when I'm home but now when I'm out, I finally know when I've had enough. When the scale didn't move, and sometimes that will happen. There will be so many other things (NSV's) that you will be enjoying, like shopping in your closet, or just being able to cross your legs or giving youself a pedicure. This lifestyle does take work too, but it is so worth the effort.

Tracy D.
on 7/22/15 8:16 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Carefully scrutinize the carb count in your shakes.  And what are you making them with?  Regular milk?  Too high in carbs, switch to almond or rice milk.  

You can be drinking 4 "diet" shakes a day but if your total carbs for the day are 80 or higher, you may not lose or won't lose well.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

kerbear1969
on 7/22/15 2:35 pm - MD

the shakes are premier protien 4 per day 600 calories total with 20 total grams carbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 78 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views