Wish me luck with gallbladder appt - nervous wreck

ElizaM
on 8/4/15 7:43 am, edited 8/5/15 5:32 am
VSG on 07/24/14

I have an appointment with my bariatric surgeon regarding my gallbladder. My PCP says I have to have it out. I am so nervous. Edit to add: everything is going to be okay, I think.

• I'm dreading another round of pre-op testing. Didn't need any pre-op testing, hurray!
  • I'm running low on sick leave. I think a combo of vacation time, sick time, and working from home will have me covered.
  • I'm weirdly afraid my surgeon will just tell me to tough it out. Nope, it's going!
  • I HATE the no-fat diet my PCP has put me on and am afraid of living on it forever if I don't have the surgery. Only two more days!!!
  • I'm afraid it will take forever to get the surgery. They fit me in three days after my consult.
  • I'm dreading surgery. Since I had the VSG, I no longer have sheer terror because I know what to expect, but it's a double-edged sword. I know what to expect and I know precisely the way it will suck. So it's less terror but dread all the same. I'm still not looking forward to it, but at least I'll have it over with.

Any words of encouragement are greatly appreciated.

Thank you to everyone for your input, I really appreciate hearing from other patients' perspectives.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

iloveravens
on 8/4/15 7:49 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I still have my gall bladder, so I can't offer any BTDT but I hope it all goes well with you.  Keep us updated. xoxo

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Finallyme2014
on 8/4/15 7:55 am

I had my gall bladder out.  WAY easier for this surgery! Good luck!!  :)

wyo_sarah
on 8/4/15 7:56 am

I had my gallbladder out the Monday after the 4th of July.  The following Saturday I went on a 2 mile hike up a mountain with my family.  The gallbladder surgery was no big deal, really!  My mom had her gallbladder out last year and my friend has hers out recently.  I haven't changed the way I eat and I haven't had any problems.  If you are in pain or feeling yucky, hopefully you will get it out quick.  I had my appointment with my surgeon on Wednesday and had it out the following Monday (mostly, I think, because of the holiday).  As for sick leave, I have a pretty easy job in the summer because I just sit at a desk and answer the phone for my husband's business, but I was back at work in a couple days.  The day after my surgery I taught a sign language class to elementary children at our local Children's Museum and I think it was the following day that I was back at my husband's business.  I probably did it too fast, but you shouldn't need to take the same amount of time off that you did for your sleeve.

I hope that helps some of your concerns!!  You'll feel so much better once you get it out. :)

(deactivated member)
on 8/4/15 8:21 am

Best thing I did....mine was making me so sick that my surgeon took it out during my endoscopy procedure. I felt pretty rough, mostly gas and sore throat but I was adjusting well and found all intolerances were gone within a month. Hopefully yours will go as well. My reflux symptoms resolved by half...it was a fantastic surgery.

kranky813
on 8/4/15 9:31 am
VSG on 08/20/15

Best decision I have ever made was to get mine out. Took 2 days of rest (we performed the surgery on a Friday) and was back to work on Monday. You will be so much happier once it's out. The funny thing is that once mine was out I realized that I had been in pain in several areas on my body that I was so accustomed to that after the surgery were completely gone.... like that knot in my back that wouldn't go away or the rib out of place that no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get it back in. It was my gall bladder. I would do it again in a heart beat! 

Surgery Date: 8/20/2015 - CW 233 - GW 140

(deactivated member)
on 8/4/15 9:31 am

I had mine out about 18 months before VSG. I had more discomfort with the gallbladder removal than I did with VSG. Gallbladder removal was great, though. I had advanced Gallbladder disease so the difference without it is pretty great. I have not had to change my diet at all. I don't tend to eat a diet heavy in fats though and never really have.

If you have pain from your gallbladder disease, you will be so happy you had it removed! Removal is isn't cure! No Lie.

gwen41539
on 8/4/15 9:34 am - kimper, KY

Hopefully it wont be that bad and afterwards you can eat some.fats 

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

GoBlueGirl1998
on 8/4/15 9:43 am - MI

Sending you positive thoughts!! Fingers crossed for you. I still have mine so I can't offer you anything in that way! Keep us posted!!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

ceecart
on 8/4/15 9:58 am
VSG on 06/23/15

I still have mine... but a close friend had removed due to gallstones.  Her surgery was way easier to heal from than VSG.  She was back to work in a week.  Sending you good thoughts and prayers

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 18 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 18 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 194 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 279 views