Has anyone had problems with losing too much weight.

texasbumpkin
on 8/14/15 9:30 pm
VSG on 10/06/15

I am still preop, but have one concern. Has anyone had the sleeve and lost too much weigh?  I am concerned about my calorie intake being too low after I lose try the weight. I have a very active job where I am going all shift (I am a nurse)

more2adore
on 8/14/15 10:52 pm
VSG on 03/28/15

I would imagine that would be pretty rare with the sleeve since there's no malabsorptive component. Most people find their ability to eat more increases as time goes by - at, say, a year out, when the sleeve has matured, some have to carefully monitor calories to make sure they're eating little enough. It is possible to stretch your sleeve out, though not ever back to the full size it was before, supposedly. There was a study that came out recently that said by five years out a significant number of sleevers had put 25% of their excess weight lost back on... so like I said, I doubt losing TOO MUCH will be a problem. If it were, you could simply increase your carb intake and/or your calories. 

VSG 3/28/2015 | HW 600+ | SW 488.2 | CW 398.4

frisco
on 8/14/15 11:18 pm

Here is some reality.....

The national average for WL with the VSG is some where around 50-60% EWL.

The VSG is NOT a standardized procedure. Individual surgeon stats are more accurate.

The truth is that most people don't make goal.

Have some people lost to much weight? I'm sure there are, but there are probably surrounding cir****tances like complications. 

Active jobs are a good thing !

Hope this helps.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

cappy11448
on 8/15/15 1:50 am

In my two years in this process, I've only heard from one woman who lost too much weight. Most people lose a lot of weight but less make it to a normal BMI.

When I reached my goal weight, I was so afraid of re-gain, that it was hard to stop the weight loss process.  But I seem to have found a good balance of eating 4 meals a day to maintain, and shifting to three meals a day when I want to lose any excess gained. 

I think you will find a good balance for yourself.  I wish you the best of luck on your weight loss journey.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

tstowe
on 8/15/15 5:26 am

I hit my goal a few months ago. It took about six weeks to lose the last nine pounds. I'm sure it happens but I wouldn't worry too much about losing too much.

Ahmadk
on 8/15/15 5:32 am

I am having a concern of not losing the wait i want haha

diane S.
on 8/15/15 12:27 pm

a few people (like me) end up dropping a little lower then they want. i was down to 117, my dr was not worried because he knew there would be a little rebound. he was right.  i took to eating a little peanut butter every day to stop weight loss.  now 5 years later i am at 125 and gotta avoid the peanut butter.  as time goes by you can eat more and it evens out.  no one has ever starved to death after veg .  gl  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Laura in Texas
on 8/15/15 2:02 pm

I have been active in the bariatric community for over 8 years now. I only know of a handful who have lost too much weight but most of those gain a little back by the three year mark. Many many more people never get to goal. That would be a more realistic fear. Just follow your plan and maximize your loss. If by chance, you do lose too much, but the third year it is easier to eat more and you can increase your calories easily by then.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Donna L.
on 8/15/15 4:55 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I don't think the low caloric intake will be an issue.  You might have to eat more if your body fat is well below a normal BMI, however, it won't be.  On many forums I've only ever seen one person who was underweight before plastics after the VSG.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

JerseyCityGal
on 8/16/15 10:33 am - NJ
with

I'm well over a year out and hit my surgeon's goal quite a while ago.  I'm 25 lbs away from my person goal of 125, but I have a normal BMI.  Plastics to remove extra skin will take of about 10 lbs of it (I've lost 117 lbs and am short), so I have about 15 more lbs to lose.

I spend a lot of time at the gym so some days I need more calories than others.  I keep my daily average around 1,000 to 1,100 calories.  It can be hard and I have to watch what I eat.  The weight loss really slows down after a while and you have to work hard at it.  The pounds come off in the gym, not on the couch. Your active job will help you maintain your weight loss, but I really wouldn't worry about losing too much.

Most Active