Protein Drinks--Liquid or Food?

SassyAmy
on 8/25/15 5:32 am
VSG on 08/05/15

Hi All!

Quick question. I know we're not supposed to drink for 30 minutes before or 30 minutes after a meal. Does the same rule apply to protein drinks? Technically, they're liquid, but I feel like if I drink after, I'll wash the protein out of my stomach too quickly. Then again, since they're liquid, they should (in theory) wash right through...

Any advice? I'm really, really thirsty, but I'm also trying really hard to get my 4-5 small meals a day in.

~*All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney*~

Sleeved on August 5th, 2015 |  HW: 292 | SW: 275 | GW: 135

frisco
on 8/25/15 6:55 am

I will post my Pyloric Valve 101

The short answer is that a basic protein drink is a liquid.

That said, resuming drinking fluids 30min. after a protein drink is not a bad idea just to get you used to separating meals with drinking.

Also as you move onto solid foods you should not resume drinking for at least 60min. The normal transit time for a sleeve to clear the pyloric valve is about 45min. which is about half the time as a normal un-altered stomach.

Further out, drinking right up to the start of eating should be fine.

Hope this helps,

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

SassyAmy
on 8/25/15 7:08 am
VSG on 08/05/15

I've actually read your Pyloric Valve 101, which is really helpful! Please feel free to repost it though; I'm sure there are others who are entering this thread without having seen it. 

I start on soft foods today (20 days out from surgery). My nutritionist has said 30-45 minutes will be enough for now. 

I didn't know that further out (I'm guessing 203 years down the line?) I could drink right up until eating! That makes everything seem a bit better :)

~*All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney*~

frisco
on 8/25/15 7:42 am

With all due respect, I would question if your nutritionist even knows what a pyloric valve is and it's function.

Early out like you are at 20 days, your sleeve and staple line is probably still swollen with a capacity of maybe 1-2oz. max and definitely still healing.

Drinking before solid food has cleared your pyloric valve can create internal pressure which is not good especially with a staple line that is not completely healed.

Take it slow and heal up really good !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

SassyAmy
on 8/25/15 7:52 am
VSG on 08/05/15

I feel like my capacity is more than 1-2oz--I've been eating 2oz meals and not been getting full. I'm not pushing things, but I've been following my nutritionist's advice and haven been having any adverse effects that I can feel. 

What's your definition of solid food though? I've only just started on the soft food stage this morning--up until now, it's been liquids and purees.

Donna L.
on 8/25/15 11:52 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Your stomach nerves that indicate fullness are cut after surgery, so you will not feel physically full for some time.  I don't even get fullness yet and I am 2 months out.   I do feel solid proteins "sitting" in my stomach, but I do not feel full even now.  There's only "hey I'm not full" or "holy crap this hurts I ate one bite too much."

We also have varying stomach sizes, but not by much.   I can fit quite a bit in there (I overate once by accident the first time I went to a restaurant post-op), but I eat only by volume typically.  Now I have a teeny bowl I carry with me to restaurants to make sure I don't overeat since I really don't want issues with my staple line.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

SassyAmy
on 8/25/15 11:55 am
VSG on 08/05/15

I've been measuring everything out into 2oz portions, but I believe I once ate 3-4oz one time without issue. It didn't hurt or anything, but I'm not going to try to pu**** any further because I don't want to cause myself issues. 

akanikkie
on 8/25/15 10:52 am
VSG on 04/27/15

Great question! I never thought to ask this.

HW: 448; SW: 376; CW: 321

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/25/15 12:00 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Nutrients are absorbed in the small intestine, not the stomach.   My surgeon's office said it's not a problem to drink water after a protein shake, but I try to delay it for as long as possible, even now.

If you're thirsty, drink.  Deal with the limitations when you start eating solid foods.  You'll be okay  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

SassyAmy
on 8/25/15 12:01 pm
VSG on 08/05/15

Thank you!! I was able to wait to drink for an hour, so I know I was good :) 

Honestly, I can't wait to be on solid food.