The younger I am the faster I will lose??

Lindseydean1992
on 9/3/15 4:48 am

I know that during natural weight loss the younger people tend to lose weight quicker than older people but after having the VSG will I be expected to also lose more (assuming I eat right and exercise like crazy which I intend to do) or will I lose the same amount as anyone else who eats right and exercises a lot?????? I'm 23 yrs old

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/3/15 5:12 am

I don't think it works that way. 

Age, gender, hormons, genetics... All have impact how fast we gain or lose. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mmsmom
on 9/3/15 5:25 am - Woburn, MA

don't worry about how fast you lose - you will lose.  This is a process, not a race and you are developing lifelong habits not short-term goals. This surgery is not a quick fix - this is a life changing decision.  Please keep that in mind.

VSG on 04/28/2014

cappy11448
on 9/3/15 6:32 am

I had the surgery at age 64, and I lost 225 pounds in 18 months.  I was at goal at 15 months post-op.  I don't think age has anything to do with it. 

I'd reaffirm what Mmsmom said.  I think you'll have a much easier weight loss journey if you can take the emphasis off  how fast you'll lose the weight.  Its a marathon and not a sprint.  It's about developing habits to last a life time.  Ultimately, does it matter how fast you lose if every month you are healthier and have more mobility and energy?

Best of luck with your weight loss journey

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Lindseydean1992
on 9/3/15 3:33 pm

Yeah I am getting too ancie about meeting my goal first than focusing on the journey and the life style change! I can't help it I just wanna look good in a bathing suit by next summer.

hollykim
on 9/3/15 6:03 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 3, 2015 at 3:33 PM Pacific Time, Lindseydean1992 wrote:

Yeah I am getting too ancie about meeting my goal first than focusing on the journey and the life style change! I can't help it I just wanna look good in a bathing suit by next summer.

don't plan for next summer until you have tomorrow today taken care of. You have a lot of work between now and then. Making this kind of goal can mess you up mentally

iloveravens
on 9/3/15 7:08 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I had my surgery at 40 and had 95% EWL at my 1 year appt (2 weeks ago).  There is so much more to it than age alone...

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

White Dove
on 9/3/15 8:05 am - Warren, OH

You will probably lose at the same rate that you do on other diets.  The only difference is that with surgery you have a tool that you can use to keep from regaining it all.

Tracy D.
on 9/3/15 1:22 am, edited 9/3/15 1:23 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Lindsey - I'm going to the address the "exercise like crazy" piece as it applies to losing weight.  Please don't equate lots of exercise with lots of weight loss because you will be very disappointed and will set yourself up for total frustration.  

Exercise is great for a lot of things: increased heart/lung function, muscle strength, flexibility, bone strength and stamina.  What it is NOT great for is actual weight loss.  In fact, lots of exercise can cause excess inflammation in the body, especially if you're starting up after being sedentary for a long time.  This results in lots of water retention.  And a half gallon of water weighs 4 lbs.  It can take weeks of consistent exercise before the body finally relaxes and the water drops off.  Then you change up your routine, get sore again and the body retains water again.  Cycle repeated. 

What happens often on here is that people start working out "like crazy" and the scale stops moving or they actually go up on the scale.  And they FREAK OUT!  Don't let that phenomena scare you off of working out.  Just know that the scale is not the best indicator of fat loss - your measurements and the fit of your tightest jeans are the BEST gauge of fat loss.  And fat loss is where it's at, not simple pounds on the scale.  

Exercise is absolutely essential for KEEPING weight off once you hit maintenance.  So get into good exercise habits now that will carry you through the rest of your life.  Find something you enjoy and makes you feel good and keep doing it.  Just don't do it for the wrong reason:  expecting the scale to go down faster the harder you work out is the wrong reason to exercise.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Lindseydean1992
on 9/3/15 3:41 pm

I never thought of it like that. I do love walking and lifting weights but I will try not to over do it. I have some old jeans that I haven't worn since High School that I am using to measure my thighs and hips and I would love to be able to wear them again. I mean I wont work out 5 hours a day or anything like that but I am very eager to see change and I definitely want to keep it off for good rather than just seeing short term "wearing a bikini just one summer" results! I know it's bad but I can't stop obsessing over the goal rather than doing what I have to do in the meantime!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views