5 Year Surgiversary

Marie B.
on 9/10/15 7:22 am - Pitman, NJ
VSG on 09/20/10 with

Hi folks.  I haven't posted on here for a long time, but I promised I'd post on my 5 year surgiversary.  I had a VSG done Sept. 10 2010 by Dr. Alvarez in Mexico.  My first year was amazing.  I lost about 70 lbs.  I was skinny.  My highest weight before surgery was 226 lbs.  After surgery I got as low as 122 lbs.  I am only 5'2", so the 220lbs. was pretty significant.  

Anyway, the weight slid off on that first year, and I was diligent to follow the rules faithfully.  It was easy.  I could not eat more then about 700 calories a day.  After about 2 years, the weight started creeping back.  My stomach was fully healed, and that makes such a difference.  I had discovered that I could eat certain foods without causing myself any pain.  These included peanut butter and nuts, which while healthy, are also calorie dense.  I could also eat dry cereals.  So the weight crept up, and true to old nature, I kept promising I would get it under control.  I crept all the way back to 178 lbs.

This last year, I decided to draw the line.  Return to mindful eating, diet and exercise.  I am currently at 154 lbs.  I am actually pretty happy with this.  I am, after all, a 60 year old grannie.  I still have to keep my calories below 900 if I want to lose weight.  I bought a good quality bike and I ride it about 20 mile every other day.  I walk several miles on the days I don't peddle.  

What I am saying is weight loss surgery is a tool, a wonderful, helpful tool.  But it is not a cure.  We have to do the work.  We still have to control our old nature.  We still need to diet and exercise.  The food addiction will always be an issue, at least for me.  I battle it every day.  It was easy the first year or so, while the stomach was healing and the gherling (not sure the spelling, it's the hunger hormone) was low.  I still can't eat dense foods like meats comfortably.  I am now vegetarian, it is just easier.

I do now have bad osteoporosis, and heart burn.  The osteoporosis is due to the massive weight loss and the fact that I am older plus I had my ovaries removed a year before the VSG.  The heartburn is a side effect of the VSG, at least for me.

Would I do this surgery again, if I could turn back time?  Absolutely.  If I had not had the sleeve I am sure I would be struggling to keep my weight under 200 lbs.  As is, I am staying in the low 150's.  I am happier, healthier, and more alive.  I know I can lose weight more easily then before surgery.  But it ALWAYS be a battle to keep it off.

I wish you all well.  Fight the good fight.  You are, after all, fighting for your life.

Be Blessed. 

Highest weight ever recorded: 224lbs.    Surgery weight: 194 lbs.
Goal range:  130-135 lbs.
  Lowest:119.7   Current weight 142lbs Height: 5' 2" almost

frisco
on 9/10/15 8:29 am

Congrats on 5 !!!

And thanks for telling your story and keepin it for reals !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/15 10:03 am

congratulations of hitting the 5 year mark! Thanks for telling your story. It's so important for newer VSGers to have a sense of what can really happen down the road.

I have had regain, too. It is really about keeping things in check, isn't it? Unlike you, I never really had any problem foods after about 4 months. I have the sleeve of steel! I have had to learn to be mindful and really monitor what I eat. I also had to come to grips with the fact that I have a real issue with certain types of high sugar foods. For the time being while I'm getting back to my fighting weight I have chosen to keep those types of foods completely off my plan. It works for me. I'm not so good at moderation.

wyo_sarah
on 9/11/15 7:24 am

I have a sleeve of steel too!

Tracy D.
on 9/10/15 10:24 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Thanks, Marie, for coming back on here and letting us know that the struggle is REAL and CONTINUES but that the tool gives us a fighting chance at a new normal.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

GoBlueGirl1998
on 9/11/15 6:55 am - MI

Thanks for sharing! Congrats on your 5 years!!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views