Carbs?

Luisa728
on 9/7/15 9:32 am

Hey everyone,

So I'm in the beginning of my pre-op diet (down 9 pounds so far) before my surgery on the 21st. However, I've been reading other post & I wondering (just to have the knowledge before surgery) about carbs. Whenever I'm able to eat solid foods again after surgery; how many carbs should I be consuming or what limit on carbs should I have in my post-op diet? I know you have to have limited to no sugars, you should have 60-80g of Protein, 15g of Fiber but will I be allowed to have a certain amount of carbs in my diet? I'm not asking for a ton of carbs; I'm just wondering if anyone know what is a safe and healthy amount of carbs I can have in my diet after surgery. I would really appreciate the info and any other suggestions fellow sleevers may have on a diet plan after surgery. I know after surgery I'll be on a liquid diet focusing on water & protein intake but I'm wondering about after that point. 

Thank you for any advice!!

Luisa

FindingMyWeigh
on 9/7/15 10:03 am
VSG on 10/30/13

I know some people were able to do 20 carbs a day. I wasn't one of them. It made me feel dizzy, weak and sick. I did much better on about 40 carbs a day. I'm in maintenance now and try and keep carbs under 80g, my protein in the 80-100g range. 

You'll be amazed at the carb game some of these companies play with food labeling. Check those labels! 

I still don't eat bread or pasta. I don't even miss it. Beware of empty calories, too, like those in alcoholic drinks. 

Protein first, always. No fluids 1/2 before eating, while eating, or a 1/2 after eating. It keeps the pyloric valve closed at the bottom of your stomach which gives you that sated feeling longer. Not familiar with the Pyloric Valve? Read this:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4508494/Frisco-Pyloric -Valve-Basics-101-re-post/

It's a huge tool you'll need to use daily. It helps you stay sated, keeps weight loss steady and prevents you from overeating your sleeve.

Peace be with you

Colleen 

Luisa728
on 9/7/15 10:35 am

Great advice! Thank you so much! I will look into that site to learn more about that pyloric valve. I had no idea about that but I have been sepratating my meals & drinks by 30 mins. Thank you for all your information & help! I really appreciate it! 

Luisa

psren13
on 9/7/15 10:24 am - NC
VSG on 03/11/15

Your doctor or nutritionist should have that set for you in their plan.  It is usually 40 grams or less per day but each doctor has their own plan.  Mine is at 40 but I try for under 30 and some days I only get about 10.  Have not had any rice nor pasta nor bread or sugar (other than birthday cake twice)since my surgery on 3-11 and very little potatoes.  Definitely no bread or bread like products (bagels, tacos, tortillas, etc).  I have become carb-paranoid.. lol.. I have 3 lbs to go to hit the 100lb mark.  Good luck to you.  Have a wonderful journey.  

Luisa728
on 9/7/15 10:40 am

Thank you so much for your reply! & those were my problems before I started this journey. Everything you just listed. Lol But I am determined to stay on my new lifestyle track that I'm on so thank you for giving me examples of things I should stay away from. I will be sure to steer clear of them in my diet. I'll also have a talk with my dietician once I go back to see them; to see what is the best diet plan for me after surgery! 

Good luck with those 2 lbs to reach the 100 lbs mark!! You are already a winner in my eyes!! 

Luisa

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 9/7/15 2:52 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Hi, I'd definitely check with your dietician/nutritionist to see what they want for you. My plan doesn't have me counting calories, carbs, fat etc. It's get at least 80g of protein, but I could go higher if I want. Carbs from veggies next, then from fruit. While my plan doesn't track calories & carbs, I do it anyway. My numbers were higher at the start of my weight loss journey, but I had to adjust the numbers as I work my way down.

I try to keep carbs under 50, although others keep it much lower than that. Calories between 800-1000. I try to stay closer to 800, I go to the higher #'s whenever I upped the protein or had a protein bar.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Luisa728
on 9/7/15 3:46 pm

It seems a lot of people I speak to have something different in their diet; so I guess it's good that I talk to my nutritionist & partner with them on what I should eat & how much of it. I'll definitely check it out with them next time I go to the office. Most people did say they stay around 80g of protein & 800-1000 calorie meal plans so thank you for your input! I appreciate it! 

Luisa

Neesie57
on 9/7/15 3:34 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

My Nutritionist allows only proteins for 8 weeks after surgery.  Two weeks of liquids only, then 6 weeks of mushy/soft foods, like cottage cheese, Greek yogurt and cheese.  I can also have soft lunchmeat, and soups, blended. My carbs are almost always under 15-20 a day.  Sometimes even lower.

I won't be adding any carbs until the 2 month mark, when I add in veggies.  I can't wait to add in veggies, I need some crunch in my life.  Never in a million years did I think I would crave broccoli.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Luisa728
on 9/7/15 4:20 pm

Haha craving broccoli for people that were used to eat unhealthy is a definite step in the healthy direction! Thanks for all you insight & input. I'm gonna talk to my surgeon & see what is the best plan for me after surgery. I appreciate you taking out the time to reply to my post!! Good luck in your journey! 

Luisa

psychoticparrot
on 9/7/15 5:25 pm

Whatever the amount of carbs your surgeon and nutritionist allow, get them from raw and freshly cooked fresh vegetables. Keep away from processed food of any kind, as it triggers carb cravings.

I eat fresh fruit every day, but sleevers here are divided about the advisability of eating fruit. For some, the sugars in fruit trigger cravings for more sugar. Others, like me, tolerate it just fine. You have to make your own decision about that when the time comes.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active