Pre surgery thought process- "eat everything in sight"

msecanales
on 9/14/15 5:15 pm

I am scheduled for my surgery on 10/26/15. For those of you that already had your VSG or even for those that are scheduled... prior to surgery, did you feel like you "had to eat everything in sight" because your eating will FOREVER change and you won't be able to eat those items any longer? I know that's not healthy thinking but I kinda feel like, "world is almost over". I am excited about my future and the new me... but I look at all my favorite foods and almost feel like I am mourning a great loss. Has this thought gone through any one else's mind? 

psychoticparrot
on 9/14/15 6:03 pm

Pre-surgery, the only food I was worried about never eating again was sushi, one of my favorites. The sticky rice, the chewy seaweed -- I thought that would forever keep me from eating sushi again. My Last Supper before going on pre-surgery liquids -- you guessed it! -- sushi.

Three months later, I was eating sushi again, although is much smaller quanitities (4-6 pieces are a big meal for me now) and in much smaller bites. 

I guess the lesson is that the 'world is not almost over.' You will soon be able to eat regular food again, and it will taste even better than before. If the foods you're mourning are junk carbs, then yes, that will be an adjustment. But when you see the weight coming off and you feel your health improving by eating small quantities of protein and a few healthy carbs (vegetables), your cravings for those foods you now think are indispensable will lessen dramatically.

Try not to eat 'everything in sight,' as this will cause your liver to get fatty. And if there's one thing a surgeon doesn't want to see on surgery day, it's a fatty liver. It lies right over the stomach, and the bigger it is, the more difficult it is for the surgeon to do the sleeve surgery. Committing now to a healthier diet will get you in better shape before surgery and make your surgery go more smoothly.

Good luck.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Grim_Traveller
on 9/14/15 6:20 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

There is nothing I CAN'T eat. There are a bunch of things I still choose not to eat. I wouldn't worry about not ever being able to eat something again. But it SHOULD be a long while before you have some things again.

Most people have "food funerals." But there is a big difference between saying goodbye to a few things, and "eating everything in sight," as you put it.

Have your last piece of pizza, cake, or whatever it is you think you'll miss. But not at all in the two weeks before surgery, and just a bit between now and then. Start forming new habits now. Get a good running start into surgery. Lose a bunch now. It will make EVERYTHING easier during surgery and after, and really help you reach goal.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sasha2014
on 9/14/15 7:33 pm
VSG on 09/21/15

Well said Grim!!!

Sandra F.
on 9/15/15 5:50 am

I felt the exact same way before surgery and it will be a while before you can enjoy your favorite foods again, but you will be able to again, just in moderation.  Good luck to you!

wyo_sarah
on 9/15/15 8:32 am

I felt that way. I had multiple food funerals. I didn't have to do a pre-op diet so in the week before surgery I ate Mexican, steak, Chinese and Italian. I didn't gorge myself, but I made sure to eat the things I thought I was going to miss. But, now that I'm almost 14 months out I don't miss any of those things. The only thing I think is on my absolutely never again list is carbonation. But I gave up soda 6 months before surgery. So, while I completely understand what you are feeling, give in in moderation and know that it isn't the end of your eating world.

FuturePinUp
on 9/15/15 9:56 am

Oh 1000%! As soon as my surgery was scheduled, I went on like, a 2 week binge of eating - lots and lots of fried, fatty foods, all day every day. I was having "food funerals" left and right. After surgery, my mindset on eating has completely changed, and it shows how me also, how much this surgery has mentally changed my life. Now, I look at "bad" food as something I don't HAVE TO HAVE but rather, something I can either make a version I can eat of, or have later. This works so well for me. I can now fight my cravings because I don't need to have it now, and if I really want it, I'll have it when I'm at goal, or a heavy workout day, etc.

And believe me, having the surgery has not decreased my appetite (something I was worried about). I still love food, enjoy cooking so much more now, and take real pleasure in things I eat. I just make insanely better choices and in significantly smaller amounts.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

FuturePinUp
on 9/15/15 9:58 am

To add - I did have a 2-week liquid diet prior to surgery, so my food funerals were happening the two weeks before that. It's why I dropped so much weight on liquids, and having that strict two weeks really helped me re-focus and prepare to completely change my relationship with food.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

GoBlueGirl1998
on 9/15/15 10:03 am - MI

I thought the same way you did and I will be on year out Oct. 24! I had one last meal and said goodbye to a few of my restaurants. I've been there and I understand the mentality going into it. Fast forward 11 months....I'm still very much a foodie and I still enjoy eating. If anything I have become pickier because I eat so little! You will find new stuff that you enjoy! Good luck to you!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Scott S.
on 9/15/15 11:20 am - TX

Food binges and funerals are very common before surgery!  I visited my favorite restaurant 2 weeks before.

I limited mine to one meal.  I didn't want my body to be in shock at surgery time.  

You will be able to eat most foods after surgery.  I think most here would recommend that you stay strict as long as possible.  I waited about a year out before I stared layering things in.

Good luck!

VSG: 8/8/13 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 119 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 354 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 402 views