1 week countdown!!!!!

Bensmom812
on 9/13/15 10:56 am

I'm having my sleeve surgery in a week from tomorrow, the 21st!
I'm so excited and nervous that I can barely think of anything else.

I also just wanted to ask for some advice---I'm a single mother to a three year old, and I am worrying if it will be difficult for me to care for him on my own post-op? I'm wondering how much pain and movement restriction people here had after surgery? It sounds from other posts like most folks are walking around right away?

Did many of y'all need to stay at the hospital for longer then one night?

Any experience or advice will be appreciated :)

Thanks,

Dina

Tracy S.
on 9/13/15 1:04 pm

Hello Dina,

Congratulations on your choice to change your life!  My hospital stay was 4 days.  This is something your surgeon should have discussed with you.  You will be exhausted coming home and you will not be allowed to lift hardly anything let alone a 3 year old.  Please plan to have someone help you!  You will have incisions that will be irritated regardless and you will not want to be putting anything near them...especially a wiggly 3 year old!  Where do you live if I may ask?  Maybe there are people close to you that can offer some help.  You will certainly need a support person and I strongly urge you to speak to your surgeon about your hospital stay and after care with a young child.   Everyone heals differently but you don't want to push yourself and hurt yourself.  I hope you can get the help you need and wish you the best of luck on your surgery!

diane S.
on 9/13/15 1:05 pm

well i have no children, but remember being told not to lift more than 10 lbs for several weeks. I had a rapid recovery but still laid around for a day or two after surgery.  I would strongly suggest you have someone around who can help with your child.  you may be on some pain drugs which could make you dopey. I didn't drive for 5 days.    diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Bensmom812
on 9/13/15 2:21 pm

Thanks so much for the advice Diane and Tracy!

i didn't have my pre-op appointment yet. It's this week, and I'll ask my surgeon all my questions.

I live in NYC. I have friends who have offered to help....I guess it was unrealistic wishful thinking that I would be able to take of him right away.

My priority is definitely to heal!

MelissaKay_69
on 9/13/15 5:47 pm

Hi BensMom, I'm also in a one week countdown. I'm having my surgery a week from Tuesday on the 22nd. I too am excited and nervous. Luckily my hubby is taking the week off to be with me. I will be staying one night in the hospital. I am taking 4 weeks off from work but I have a job that I am on my feet all day. I just finished up week one of my liquid diet. I love this forum and have learned so much. Good luck with your surgery. I hope to hear how it went for you.

Tracy S.
on 9/13/15 7:02 pm

Good luck to you too Melissa!

MelissaKay_69
on 9/14/15 3:23 pm

Thanks Tracy!

Bensmom812
on 9/15/15 10:25 am

Thanks Melissa!

Lots of good luck to you too!! :)

Dina

Most Active