Stupid mistake

Laura_S
on 9/13/15 8:47 pm
VSG on 03/17/15

I just wanted to share my story as a reminder: never have gummy candy. I made the mistake of mindlessly eating a Trolli gummi octopus on Thursday and I lived to regret it. I also (since it was mindless) forgot what I ate until the next day. It blocked my sleeve and I went to the emergency room with some of the worst pain I've had in my life (much worse than post op pain). It resolved about 6+ hours later but it was horrible. At first I thought it was just gas pain, but it worsened over the hours. It was intermittent cramping. I couldn't get comfortable except between the waves. When the pain came I was moaning out loud. I've only had pain that bad during childbirth. I assure you I will do anything I can to avoid that in the future! It was the only time I've had a complication from the surgery and I definitely learned my lesson. Hopefully this will keep someone out there from making the same mistake I did (though I know it should be pretty obvious). 

psychoticparrot
on 9/13/15 9:06 pm

What an awful thing to go through! I'm glad you're feeling better. 

Are you sure it was the gummy candy? I eat gummy vitamins and have never had a problem. Was a gall bladder attack ruled out?

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Mary Gee
on 9/14/15 12:00 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Thank goodness you did no eat sugar-free gummy bears......read these tales of horror reviews.

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Ihearttennis
on 9/14/15 3:32 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

Hi Mary-I think those reviews are fake.  If you are interested in similar, but funnier reviews check out the reviews on Amazon for the Hutler 571 Banana Slicer.  They are very entertaining!

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

Mary Gee
on 9/14/15 4:09 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

LOL -- thanks for the laughs.  How did I survive without this!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

psychoticparrot
on 9/14/15 5:27 pm

Those reviews may be exaggerated, but I think they're real. A similar experience happened to me years ago when I ordered and ate half a pound of sugarless candy. The symptoms started about an hour later. I won't go into detail, except to say that the candy cleaned me out better than the stuff they give you before a colonoscopy.

Now I'm off to check out the banana slicer!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

mmsmom
on 9/14/15 4:35 am - Woburn, MA

OMG that sounds horrible.  i swallowed a cherry pit once and lived in fear for days - but thankfully nothing happened.  Good luck and careful eating!

VSG on 04/28/2014

Heather L.
on 9/14/15 7:39 am - Coquitlam, Canada
VSG on 03/26/15

That sounds far more like a gallbladder attack than anything a gummy could do.  I'd suggest you request an ultrasound to rule it out.

VSG Mar 26, 2015 Dr. Sharadh Sampath -- 5'3" -- 47YO -- HW: 294 - SW: 261 - CW: 192 - GW: 175
Bi-lateral Brachioplasty May 8, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid
Lower Body Lift Oct 2, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid

"Weight is lost in kitchens, health is gained in gyms." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

heatherisshrinking.tumblr.com

Tracy D.
on 9/14/15 8:54 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I've had gummi fibers every day (twice a day) since I was about three months out and have never had an issue - hmmm .  So sorry that you had this horrible experience! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Laura_S
on 9/15/15 9:19 pm
VSG on 03/17/15

I've had other gummy things without issue, so I think it may have just been the size of this one. However, if it happens again I am definitely leaning toward gallbladder as I did have a fatty meal that evening. I did not have any right upper quadrant tenderness though.

Most Active