Preop liquid diet

Joyfullysleeved
on 9/16/15 4:08 am

Finally have a surgery date! Yay!! September 30th at 8:00 I will be having VSG! So excited and can't wait to be on the losers bench. I have a question regarding the preop liquid diet. My surgeon only requires 1 day of full liquids before my surgery, but I have heard of others having to do a week or two of liquids. Should I do more than is required? Would I benefit from that? I have Aetna insurance and had to do the 3 month presurgical supervised diet as well. I have lost 37 pounds since May from those changes alone. Not that I want to do more days of liquids, but if it will jump start my weight loss and be better for me in the long run, then I will do it. Just wanting some input from those that have been there. Thanks!

rocky513
on 9/16/15 7:00 am - WI

Usually the pre-op liquid diet is recommended to shrink the liver.  If your liver is not enlarged, there is no reason to go through the two weeks of liquids before surgery.  Losing weight before surgery will do the same thing, and you've lost 37 pounds, so you're liver is probably a good size for the surgeon to operate around!  Why put yourself through the torture if you don't have to?  I did not have to go on a two week pre-op  liquid diet.  My surgeon said no food after 9:00 pm the night before surgery. 

Good luck with your surgery!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Joyfullysleeved
on 9/16/15 12:03 am, edited 9/16/15 12:03 am

Thanks for your reply! I go for my preop appointment next Thursday so I'm sure I will get more detailed instructions. I definitely don't want to do more liquids than I have to. :)

psychoticparrot
on 9/16/15 1:11 pm, edited 9/16/15 1:12 pm

What rocky said. My nutritionist said that the pre-op liquid diet is called "the liver-shrinking diet," and its sole purpose is to reduce the size the liver in order to make the surgery easier for your surgeon to do. The liver lies over the stomach and has to be lifted out of the way during surgery, so the smaller the liver, the better. The pre-op liquids have no other special benefit to your health, so there's little point to going on them early.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Sasha2014
on 9/17/15 2:23 am
VSG on 09/21/15

yeaaaaa!!!!!!

Congrats!!

My is on the 21st!!!

Keep me posted!

How did you get the scale underneath your post.. I couldn't figure it out;(

Joyfullysleeved
on 9/17/15 6:33 am

Good Luck, Sasha on the 21st!

I hope some of the vets can chime in about the scale. It's somewhere in your profile that you do it. I havent figured it all out yet. 

Claudia425
on 9/17/15 6:11 am

My Surgeon only requires 2-3 days of light meals and liquids the day before surgery.  Seems that every surgeon is different. 

My surgery is tomorrow...sucking back Jell-O and soup... 

Joyfullysleeved
on 9/17/15 6:35 am

Yes, it does seem like the advice varies widely. I will just continue my high protein low carb and then do the 1 day of liquids.

Good luck tomorrow, Claudia! Hope everything goes great for you. 

MaraFaith
on 9/17/15 7:37 am - denham springs, LA

Good luck Claudia!!!

My surgeon requires no preop diet except for a liquid diet two days before surgery. He also mentioned that he would prefer if I ate a little lighter the week before and not have too many food funerals in the two week window closest to my surgery date. 

HW:362 SW:345 CW:287 GW:170 Surgery Date: 11-11-2015 with Dr. Bellenger

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views