Need Help! Getting back on Track!

stephintexas
on 9/18/15 4:16 am

Hello! I had my surgery in Jan of 2012. I lost from 240+ to 141. I had skin removed, tummy tuck, upper body lift, lower body lift, Brazilian butt lift, arms, etc. Then I had a horrible horrible tragedy. I gained back to 171. I am still running and eating decent. But clearly, I need to make some changes before it gets out of control. I am struggling to get back on track. I saw my doctor and he wanted me to see the dietician who wants me on the same plan that I didn't lose weight on the first time. I remember when I started following tips from this forum and doing what some of the veteran weight losers had done, I finally lost the weight.

Any tips for getting back on track? I realize I am eating out of grief and emotion but it's been 7 months now and I want to get the 30 pounds off before it becomes 50, 60, the slipper slope. I am not sure how many calories are normal for re-losing. I know I am carb sensitive and need to cut the carbs, NOT add more wheat.

Any similar stories or pointers is very very welcome! :)

The_Sheltonator
on 9/18/15 4:33 am

Hi, I'm pre op so useless to actually answer your question but I wanted to tell you I'm sorry for your loss and well done for getting yourself through it. My thoughts are with you xx

In terms of weight gain, don't be too hard on yourself its natural for weight to fluctuate especially after a loss, but you are absolutely doing the right thing by stopping it now before it continues. I think that's something to be be positive about. I know for me even as I gained weight steadily for years I always thought it would just sort itself out and buried my head in the sand. You aren't doing that and that's why it's going to be ok.

From a newbie point of view, is it possible for you to follow the plan you originally had post surgery? Go back to eating like you just had it done, you lost once that way and I'm sure you can do it again.

Eat protein first, drink water through the day, limit portion size, weigh everything. Back to basics babe.

You can do it x

Sandra F.
on 9/18/15 5:57 am

Back to basics: 

-tracking each bite of food that you put in your mouth

-eating high protein, low carb foods

-exercise

-at least 64 oz of water a day

Good luck to you!  You can do it!

MissNexxie
on 9/18/15 6:33 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I'm terribly sorry to hear you're dealing with a major tragedy. Welcome back to the boards, we will support you as best we can.  Here's some of my tips:

Drop the carbs for the first week or two, including fruit, grains, etc. Go as pure protein as possible. Find variations that you can tolerate of the suggestions below. I had a regain after a vacation and this helped me, especially those first few critical days:

Breakfast: go protein: luncheon meat wrapped around a cheese string and maybe a hard boiled egg. These will fill you up. I did not go back to protein drtinks as they didn't fill me. I need to chew something!

Lunch: roasted chicken or turkey (3 oz) with some cheese and celery, cucumber and/or tomato. I use a tbsp of antipasto as my dressing. Oil & vinegar works, too

Dinner: very similar to lunch but I usually have a can of flavored tuna. I utilize lots of fresh garden veggies.

Snacks: cheese strings, beef jerky, turkey pepperoni

I also drink a lot of water and unsweetened tea. This is my "back to basics" menu for at least a week. I am sensitive to carbs, too, and this helps me to get my cravings in check. My calories are about 1200 per day in losing mode. I'm at 1600 to maintain.

I hope this helps a bit. Take care.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/15 10:06 am

You're okay. Take a breath and relax. No need to panic. Reverting to coping mechanisms that helped you for a lifetime is normal. It takes a lot of work to change the inner workings of our emotional life. You know what triggered the weight gain and that's most of the battle. 

If you read my back posts, you'll see I've posted plenty about my regain, what caused it, how I've dealt with it, etc.... It did take me about 6 months of therapy (nutritional counseling and a therapist that specializes in disordered eating) to find what worked for me. No surprise, it's very close to what helped me lose weight post surgery.

I chose to give up all added sugar, processed and packaged food (except for things like cheese, yogurt, nuts), refined flour products (but not whole grains like steel cut oats). I do not eat a Paleo or specific diet, but stick with natural foods. I have not cut my calories back to a post surgery level because that would feel punitive to me and I am not about punishing myself for gaining some weight. I am sticking to roughly 1300 calories per day (I'm a man and am somewhat active). That's giving me about 1.5-2.5 pound loss per week.

I did go cold turkey on the sugar and carbs. The first day was a bit tough, but I was really ready to do it which made it easier. By day 3 I felt great.

My basic plan looks like this: 100+ grams of protein per day (best for me is 120-140), under 100 grams carbs per day (again, 70 is optimal for me at this stage of the game) and all my carbs come from dairy, low GI fruits, and vegetables. I have whole grains only a few times per week. I do not worry about fats as long as the other two Macro Nutrients are being met. I also pound the water and make sure I eat every three to four hours.

Best of luck. You will get the weight off. If I can get mine off, so can you!

Mary Gee
on 9/18/15 12:07 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Steph, I'm sorry for your loss....life can really kick you in the face at times. 

I believe the numbers followed are "generally" Calories up to 800, Carbs up to 40, Protein at least 65.  Fluids at least 64 oz.  

I certainly admire the hard work and dedication it took to lose the weight initially and to follow-up with additional surgery.  Getting back on track is not easy, for sure.  About six months ago, my fiance became seriously ill, and in fact, just passed away two weeks ago.  During that time, I was not eating properly.  I did not gain weight, but I did not lose any either.  You recognize that you are eating emotionally, which is never a good thing.  Once Jim passed, I told myself I was only hurting myself by continuing my wayward eating.  I picked up a notebook and planned my menu for the next day.  I've been doing well, and the scale is moving down again.

I hope you can get back on track and get back to your goal weight.  

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

psychoticparrot
on 9/18/15 1:37 pm

My condolences on the loss of your fiance. I read somewhere that every one of us, sooner or later, takes their turn as life's football. No exceptions. 

psychoticparrot

Mary Gee
on 9/19/15 1:01 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Thank you.  I appreciate your kind words.

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Scott S.
on 9/18/15 12:55 pm - TX

You can do this!

Tracking is number one and coming back to this sight daily is number two.  Get on myfitnesspal and get tracking now!  

One thing that works for me is getting on a cleanse.  It is not a ling term solution, but it does point the ship in the right direction.  My last cleanse dropped 7 lbs.   I usually will do it after a vaca.  The effects are amazing IMO.

Message me if you want details.  

You can get back on track!  Coming to the site is a good first step!

Scott

VSG: 8/8/13 

psychoticparrot
on 9/18/15 1:40 pm

I've found Overeaters Anonymous to be a very effective antidote to the emotional aspects of overeating. They have meetings just about everywhere.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 88 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views