NEED HELP FROM A VETERAN WHOS GAINED WEIGHT AND LOST AGAIN PLEASE!!!

amberk82
on 9/19/15 3:11 pm, edited 9/19/15 3:53 pm

Hi I am Amber...I had my surgery in Nov 2011--lost 107 pounds--got below my goal of 135 AND MAINTAINED it for 2 years!! I gained 20 pounds back :( and Ive been trying different things for more than a year now trying to lose the weight...and NOTHING IS WORKING. I have tried weigh****chers--lost 10 lbs and that was it! nothing more...I normally eat really low carb meals, so I went back to that--started working out again--still nothing. I used to be so disciplined with myself...I was very strict and knew what I needed to do to keep the weight off and now Im lost....I feel like theres nothing I can do that's going to work. I need help!!

Here is where I am needing some advice:

#1) I went back to hardly eating, like I used to do...eat only when Im hungry--throw it away when Im full, and no eating after 8:30 at night..and I lost no weight. I was told it was because I am not eating enough calories. Am I supposed to finish my meals? or am I supposed to stop when full??

#2) Ive read in the past, to start over? does this mean go back to liquids or just baby your stomach?

I am really wanting to hear from people who have gone through this before and had to lose some weight again if possible, so I know what worked for you....cause I am willing to try whatever at this point! I would appreciate any ideas and/or suggestions! Thanks so much!!

Laura in Texas
on 9/19/15 4:16 pm

I did not notice any mention of weighing/measuring your portions or tracking exactly what you eat. I would start by doing that. We tend to eat more than we think we do.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

White Dove
on 9/19/15 5:06 pm - Warren, OH

I had a 12 pound regain at 30 months out and it took several years to get rid of it.  I tried Weigh****chers, low carb, exercise and thought about diet pills.

What finally worked is counting calories.  My goal is 136 and 1400 a day keeps me there.  To lose a pound a week I go to 900 calories a day.  It took 12 weeks to lose the 12 pounds.  Nothing else works for me.  I use My Fitness Pal and track everything.  I also weigh every single morning and make sure I am not gaining. 

My regain happened during a period when I was not weighing myself at home.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

happyteacher
on 9/20/15 5:24 am

I had the same thoughts as the other replies- I saw no mention of weighing and measuring. I am in a similar position as you, but without losing quite all of the regain- yet. In my case I did stop regularly weighing and measuring and logging. I have been trying to work back to those great habits I had during the weight loss phase. I can say without a doubt that once I started logging I was surprised just how fast I was getting up to 800 calories, and then surpassing 1200 calories. I no longer seem to lose at the 1200 calorie point, or perhaps I just lose super slow. At the very least I don't gain at 1200. My point is that perhaps your body has changed a bit since aging. By carefully tracking you will have the data needed to truly discern what changes you need to make. 

I also agree with the counting of calories. I think the challenging part is figuring out what we need to get beneath a few years post op, as it may not be the same amount as our original weight loss phase. Also, look to lighten your calories whenever possible along with managing your carbs. I just switched back to unsweetned Almond milk for example, and shaved a 100 calories a day without missing a thing. Why I ever went back to cow's milk I don't know. 

Anyway, I am very near my original goal weight now, but will be going back to my original "safe" number- 10 pounds below goal. I agree, it is harder than it used to be to pull off the pounds, so we have to really stick with it. Good luck, and I am here with you!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

amberk82
on 9/20/15 4:56 pm

Thanks so much for all your ideas! I am going to go back to trying to track everything just like I used to. I was measuring,especially when I was on weigh****chers, and I did lose 10 lbs of the 20 gained, so I know I can do this! It will just take the same dedication as I had before...and patience! Tons of it because I know it may take some time! Wish me luck! Thanks again yall! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views