Protein!

Amy_Rod618
on 9/19/15 6:09 pm, edited 9/19/15 6:10 pm
VSG on 02/08/16

So I am not even close to surgery yet but am determined to find protein that I like while I do my pre-op requirements. 

I had lap band in 2008 and made the huge mistake of just getting a big tub of what my doc told me to get without trying it or doing any shopping around. Boy do I regret that! I was miserable in the 2 week pre-op protein shake diet and my misery continued after surgery.  I absolutely dread protein shakes! 

So my plan is to try some different ones so I will not have the same issue as last time. I've gotten some premier protein drinks  (all 3 flavors), going to order a sample pack from unjury,  and also a sample pack from bariatric fusion.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Amy

murphyjo
on 9/19/15 11:20 am, edited 9/19/15 11:20 am

Jay Robb has a sample pack. They are very good! Not gritty and no funny aftertaste. I like to mix the vanilla with Fairlife skim milk for an extra 13g. 110 cal has 25g protein 

happyteacher
on 9/19/15 6:40 pm

Chike. Hands downmy favorite and barely a trace of protein flavor in it. Tastes like Mocha iced coffee instead. Nice!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Mary Gee
on 9/19/15 6:57 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

When I first started with shakes, I made them in the blender and they came out very foamy.  I switched over to using a shaker bottle, and found that to help a lot - shakes get thick, but no foam.  Much easier.  I also got some flavored sugar free syrups from Torani and Davinci, and also used PB2 and instant coffee as flavorings.  I found recipes for different flavors on Eggface's site.  

I use GNC Power Maxx brand, flavors are Chocolate/Vanilla/Strawberry/Mocha.  If you go to the store, they will give you a sample so you can try the flavor before buying the big tub.  Per Scoop:  120 Calories/4 Carbs/20 Protein.  I use unsweetened Blue Diamond Almond Breeze milk, unsweetened Original.  Per 8oz:  30 Calories/1 Carb/1 Protein.  It also comes in Vanilla and Coconut flavors.

Mary 

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Oneillch
on 9/20/15 8:47 am
VSG on 02/04/15

I've been using unflavored whey protein from Syntrax Nectar and can mix it in anything without tasting it. 

Alison B.
on 9/20/15 8:48 am - ROSEVILLE, MN
VSG on 05/28/15

I ordered a bunch of powder protein one-serving samples from Naushua Nutrition. Their current samples include Bariatric Advantage, Chike, IsoBurn, Nature's Best, Syntrax, Optimum Nutrition, etc., for $1.95. I also bought single-serve samples from Unjury. This method is much less expensive than buying a big container of something you might find repulsive. I've seen postings from other members who said some of the retail health/vitamin stores will let you sample their protein powders, although I haven't tried this.

I think you'll find something you like this time around. My favorite is unflavored Unjury whey protein powder. I add it to milk and frozen fruit in a blender and it's great. 

Good luck!

Height: 5'10" HW: 264.4 Bariatric information session 1/21/15. Insurance approves VSG 4/30/15. Surgery date 5/28/15.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 199 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 282 views