Tough week

Kellyrob
on 9/22/15 11:47 am
VSG on 04/20/15

i had surgery to repair my meniscus a week ago. I am non weight bearing for another 3 weeks then slowly progress to weight bearing. I am 5 months post vsg , and day of this surgery was 3 lbs from onederland. I have been unable to weigh myself at home due to not being able to put both feet on the scale. I have thankfully not really felt like eating I guess post anesthesia stuff (not complaining) but I am finding it very hard to drink. I am lucky to drink 1 maybe 2 bottles of water a day. I am trying to drink a protein shake a day because I am not eating much. It has just been a rough week, I can feel myself slipping into a slight depression. I hope I can keep my diet in check once the post anesthesia stuff wears off. I have a long 10 weeks ahead of me (estimated 10-12 weeks off work 😂) I am so glad to have this forum to turn to and I read it daily, thanks for being here! 

psychoticparrot
on 9/22/15 12:05 pm

What a crappy thing to happen! I had to look up "meniscus." It appears to be a very painful procedure and recovery when it tears. 

Please, drink more! If queasiness is keeping you from drinking more liquids, call your surgeon and get a prescription for Zofran. It will help speed your recovery from your knee surgery and help keep your appetite in check when the anesthesia after-effects wear off. 

I think feeling a little depressed is appropriate to your condition right now. I would be, too! If it continues for more than a few weeks, though, you might want to ask your PCP for an antidepressant, to be used temporarily until you're back on your feet.

Concentrate on your water intake. Just like the first few weeks after the sleeve surgery, take each day, hour, or minute at a time. You'll get through this too. 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Kellyrob
on 9/22/15 12:24 pm
VSG on 04/20/15

Not nauseous just don't have any desire. It's sitting right next to me at all times. 

psychoticparrot
on 9/22/15 12:42 pm

Then maybe you need the antidepressant now, Kellyrob. If depression and inertia are keeping you from taking good care of yourself, call your doctor today. You must drink more water, or you'll soon be back in the hospital again for dehydration and maybe its evil relatives, kidney infections and kidney stones. And it won't be doing your knee any favors either.

I'm very prone to depression myself, and for no reason that medical science can pinpoint. I know how it can suck all pleasure out of your life other than the desire to lie still and do nothing. If you can't bring yourself to call your doctor, ask a family member or good friend to handle everything for you -- make the call, take you there, get the meds, and make sure you take the meds. 

I really feel for you. You're in a bad place right now, but it can and will get better.

psychoticparrot

Kellyrob
on 9/22/15 1:34 pm
VSG on 04/20/15

Thank you for your support. 

psychoticparrot
on 9/22/15 4:59 pm

Please check back here tomorrow. I think you're more than "a little depressed." I really want to see a post that shows you or family/friend has taken charge of your situation and is moving things along. Just take that first step -- inertia works both ways, you know. Once in motion, objects tend to stay in motion. Don't jeopardize your health when you can do something about it.

I'll check back tomorrow morning, young lady! 

psychoticparrot

psychoticparrot
on 9/23/15 7:41 am

Good morning, Kellyrob! It's 10:40am EDT here. I hope to hear from you today and find out that you've taken the first step and called your doctor to make an appointment for sometime today or tomorrow.

I'll be checking back here regularly today. Please post. My "mommy" instincts have kicked in, and I won't stop worrying until I hear from you! 

pyschoticparrot 

Kellyrob
on 9/23/15 8:21 am
VSG on 04/20/15

Please don't worry, I am feeling better today. Yesterday was a lot to handle. I spent sometime with my family and am planning to go to my niece's soccer game tonight. I think getting out will do some good. 

psychoticparrot
on 9/23/15 8:59 am

So glad to hear that! Also, please start drinking more water, if you haven't already. Revert back to your first few weeks post-op after your sleeve surgery and set a timer every 15 minutes or so to remind you to keep sipping. Have a good time at your niece's soccer game. 

I'll check back in tomorrow to see how your day went. "Mommy" will keep an eye on you for a while! 

psychoticparrot

psychoticparrot
on 9/24/15 3:36 pm

Hi again, Kellyrob! This is your substitute "parental unit," as my son used to call me. Hope yesterday and today went well (or at least better). Let me know when you have a moment. 

psychoticparrot

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 89 views