I cannot stand Sweet Drinks Anymore! I'm 7 days post op.

Chanti_
on 10/2/15 7:30 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

I'm trying to choke down protein supplements, I have the Unjury Chocolate Splendor, and the Strawberry Sorbet varieties. When I mix them with skim milk they are 30gms of protein which is awesome but they are becoming unbearably sweet to me. I've also mixed them with water and they are a little less so. Vitamin water is so sweet it's nauseating. Tried Oceanspray no sugar added White Cranberry Juice and had to cut the juice down with water by 1/4 juice to 3/4 water to tolerate the sweetness. Jello, popcicles are all very sickly sweet.

I have read that your taste for things really does change after surgery and really I am okay with not liking sweet anymore. But does anyone have any suggestions for protein drinks that are not sweet? I have unflavored whey protein that I can use, and the Unjury Chicken Soup (which is awesome btw) but I'm also looking for RTD options for convenience. I'm in Canada also, which limits my options. GNC does not carry Isopure here unfortunately.

Another question from the newbie.. Does this intolerance for sweet last for most people? I was never really a person who liked sweet drinks anyway, not soda or juice, although having them didn't make me want to throw up before. Just wondering if this is going to be a permanent change in my palate or not?

Thanks for your thoughts! I'm starting week 2 post op tomorrow! Yay full fluids! Can't wait for that!

cappy11448
on 10/2/15 8:48 am

Hi,

I had the same problem. My tummy just wouldn't tolerate sweet drinks. I switched to chicken broth with unflavored protein powder and this was my staple for the first few months. The only trick is that if the broth is too hot the protein will denature and clump up. So you have to keep it on the cool side.

I also couldn't take my chewable vitamins for the same reason - too sweet and my tummy objected. So I crushed the vitamins and mixed them into a small amount of plain greek yogurt, and had a little yogurt and vitamin treat twice a day.

The intolerance for sweets did pass, but not quickly. I can eat anything now.

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

alouisa63
on 10/2/15 9:09 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Since surgery I can't handle anything other than water or decaf iced tea (unsweet). Even my protein shakes were too sweet so I added a bit of unsweetened cocoa to them and that help cut the sweetness a lot.

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/2/15 9:45 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I'd suggest trying some stuff that's fruit-sweet rather than dairy-sweet. I drank a lot of Isopure fruit punch, it has the consistency of Kool-Aid. You might be able to get single-serve bottles at the vitamin store before committing to ordering a case.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MissNexxie
on 10/3/15 5:49 am
VSG on 04/30/14

Please be mindful of the amount of juice you consume, SF or not. Juices are not recommended. Better to have plain water with the flavoring drops that you add manually. I'm in Canada as well and bought beneprotein powder packets from safeway pharmacy and added them to various broths which I drank lukewarm to keep the protein intact. The Unjury Chicken protein was my savior as I don't care for sweet either. Use broths as much as you can as you will not find much in the way of RTD options here that are now sweet and full of sugar. I can't even look at Ensure and its been 18 months. This is a temporary phase so do what you have to and soon enough you'll be enjoying creamy soups, etc which are so much nicer.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Chanti_
on 10/3/15 9:09 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

Thanks everyone for your feedback, it's much appreciated!

Chanti

psychoticparrot
on 10/3/15 11:11 am

Chanti wrote: "Does this intolerance for sweet last for most people? I was never really a person who liked sweet drinks anyway, not soda or juice, although having them didn't make me want to throw up before. Just wondering if this is going to be a permanent change in my palate or not?Does this intolerance for sweet last for most people? I was never really a person who liked sweet drinks anyway, not soda or juice, although having them didn't make me want to throw up before. Just wondering if this is going to be a permanent change in my palate or not?"

Pre-op, I had a terrible sweet tooth. In fact, I think I had at least half a dozen sweet teeth. Post-op, after weeks of those **** protein shakes, I hardly ever crave sweets anymore (I'm 8 months post-op). So I don't know yet if that will be a permanent thing or not. I still have cravings from time to time, but now they're for the salties, which are just as bad for me as sweets. Sigh.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

diane S.
on 10/4/15 10:18 am

yep, add some unsweetened coco powder to choc drinks and add a blob of greek yogurt to other drinks for tartness. also cinnamon or instant coffee. maybe a squirt of lemon juice would help. d

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

UNJURY
on 10/5/15 10:32 am - Sterling, VA

hi Chianti

I just wanted to be sure you knew that you can return anything you buy from us,

whether opened and partially used, or not. : )

You might scan the recipes on our website, and others, for more savory recipes. You can mix the unflavored into soups and other recipes.

You could also try "cutting" the sweetness of the flavor that you are perceiving but doing 1/2 of the flavored and 1/2 of our unflavored.

I am hopeful that your taste buds settle back to usual.

Kind regards

Jerome

UNJURY Protein

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 288 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 340 views