First day of soft food stage...Bad Experience.

Tracy D.
on 10/14/15 11:21 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I will say that 2 oz. of fish AND 1/4 c. green beans would have been waaaaay too much for me to eat at one sitting early out. And green beans aren't that "soft".

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

alouisa63
on 10/14/15 12:36 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

that's what I have for dinner at 10 weeks out!

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Minkey
on 10/14/15 9:11 pm

Are you sure you have the soft food menu and not the next stage menu? That is too much food along with the protein shakes that I hope you are still taking. If not, you are not getting enough protein. The pears definitely need to wait for another few weeks, as well as the egg. I was able to eat cottage cheese, yogurt, milk and pureed foods and nothing else. Your stomach has to get used to eating all over again (as my dietician says, treat it like a baby's stomach that needs to get used to things) and to eat only one new thing a day to see if it negatively effects you. Good luck!

Billy D.
on 10/14/15 7:05 am

Maybe it was just that particular food. It's strange that they say lay down when that happens but my pamphlet says the same about nausea. I would not worry too much as I was reading some older posts and that seems to happen. If it happens again maybe you might want to go back to the previous stage for a while. Everybody is different. I think sometimes anxiety of having these experiences can make it worse the next time as who wants to relive that. Hang in there.

docbad32
on 10/14/15 8:08 am

When entering a new phase I always found it easier to try new things one at a time. Like try an egg but the rest of the meal was something from the previous stage. That way I could pinpoint exactly what was causing the trouble and what I wasn't ready for.

VSG:  3/12/15

Tracy D.
on 10/14/15 11:20 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You're saying this is what you ate for the entire day, correct? Not all at once, right?

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Tiki3211
on 10/14/15 11:47 am

Breakfast, lunch and dinner.

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/15 2:39 pm

I thought you meant it was breakfast, lunch and dinner. Here's my take:

Way too much too soon.

When I started soft solids I was given the instruction to add only one new food per meal. So my first breakfast was scrambled egg. I managed about 1/2 of an egg. Lunch was a 1/4 cup of ricotta bake. Dinner was three slices of thin sliced deli turkey with a dolop of greek yogurt with ranch dressing seasoning. I continued to drink protein shakes all during soft solids stage, too, to make sure I got adequate protein.

I don't think of the soft solid stage as a way to nourish the body, but instead to reintroduce solid foods back to the new sleeve. Some sleeves are more sensitive, which is why eating only one new food at each meal until you've built up a new repertoire of food is a good idea. You just don't know how you might react to any food. For instance, beef was far easier than chicken breast for me.

I suggest you slow down, try only one new food per meal and think about 1/4 cup by volume as the maximum portion you eat right now. 2 oz of Tilapia plus green beans would have had me on the floor writhing in pain. No way I could have done that. I'm almost 4 years out and an average meal for me is 3 oz of protein, 1/4 - 1/2 cup of vegetable (or 1/4 cup veg. and 1/4 cup whole grain/low glycemic starch). I eat about 1 cup by volume and sometimes that is almost too much.

Go easy on yourself. No sense in rushing it. Use your protein shakes to get the nutrition you need and experiment slowly with new foods, little by little.

Remember you don't have to get 600-800 calories a day just yet. At your stage I was averaging 450-500 calories a day tops.

Hope today goes a lot better for you!

Tiki3211
on 10/14/15 4:01 pm

Thank you so much...this makes so much sense. I only ate what I did, because it was a menu that the nutrionist gave me. I know better now. Slower is better. Thanks for your input it helps.

Donna L.
on 10/16/15 8:12 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

My first week or two of soft foods I could only eat 1/2 cup by volume a meal, and that was if it was really soft. I could handle 4 ounces of yogurt, but not 4 ounces of dense protein; very soft fish maybe like 2 ounces? I ate similarly to what you posted two days after soft foods started and I also vomited. I wound up going to liquids for four days after that to be sure (at my surgeon's advice) and then resumed soft foods.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views