post op pain

Suzie B.
on 10/19/15 5:13 am

I had my surgery 10/16 and today is my first day home. I was sent home with some liquid vicodin but only a small amount. What are some things you did to help with the pain and swelling? How long before your swelling and pain was gone?

Tracy D.
on 10/19/15 6:01 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Pain is so relative - it's hard for me to probably give great advice. I didn't take any pain meds once I left the hospital because I didn't want to deal with my bowels getting all locked up. I was sore but didn't have any pain that was so severe I needed medication. Forthe first couple nights I took a sleep aid and some Tylenol.

As for the swelling, I highly recommend a bromelain/tumeric supplement. It's a natural product that greatly helps with the inflammation from surgery. I get mine online from Swanson Vitamins.

I had tenderness for several weeks, especially on my right side. But as someone who has gone through two old-fashioned C-sections, a recent lower body lift and some other surgeries, the "pain" from VSG was literally nothing compared to those.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

mickeymantle
on 10/19/15 7:01 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

a hot towel helps with the gas pain and walking

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Ready2goNOW
on 10/19/15 11:47 am

Hi!

I had my surgery on the 14th. I have had no pain at all since the 16th. I may get a twinge getting off the sofa, but nothing more.

I have to agree with Tracy pain is relative. We all react differently. I am sure it will decrease within a few days...hang in there!

My swelling has gone down some, but not much. one of my holes looks like a belly button invaded in fat. High...very distorted an area!

Kathy

Chanti_
on 10/19/15 12:08 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

I have one of those too . It's very pushed in about 3 inches above my actual bellybutton. Kinda weird actually and i'm over 3 weeks out.

As to pain, I was placed on a non narcotic pain med for 5 days. It helped but I never really had pain per se mostly just tenderness around my incisions. I mainly took the meds so I could sleep well @ night

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/19/15 11:48 am
RNY on 08/05/19

A heat pack may help, I have a sock full of rice that I throw in the microwave.

If you have pain when you move, an abdominal binder may help. I got one at the drugstore, and having some pressure on my abdomen was definitely helpful.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Duetoprivacy
on 10/19/15 2:42 pm

I had surgery on October 5th, and the pain was far worse than I expected. The hospital sent me home with Dilaudid, which knocked me down but also let me get a little bit of sleep. I took that for about five days and then they put me on Tramadol, which I've been taking at night only and supplementing with 500 mg of Tylenol. Today is the first day that pain hasn't reminded me to take the Tylenol on time, and I'm going to take my last Tramadol tonight. I think that I'll be fine without it from here out.

If your pain is preventing you from being able to rest, I suggest that you call the surgeon's office and/or your PCP and ask them what else they can give you. There is no reason to tough anything out. This transition is hard enough.

If you do stay on pain meds for a little while, please don't forget to take a stool softener like Colace every day. They will certainly bind you up and that isn't fun either.

I hope your pain mitigates soon.