Two week post op on Tuesday...update & questions

Jennifer J.
on 10/25/15 5:33 pm - Manassas, VA
with

So I'll be two weeks post op on Tuesday. Everything is going great...idk if this is normal but I've been up and going 3 days post op. Haven't had any pain really. The max was maybe a 3/10 but as of now I have no pain at all. I think I'm doing pretty well getting 50g of protein a day and getting most of my fluids in. I'm hoping at my post op appt on Wednesday I'll be put in mushy foods.

Anyway, I started taking 5000mcg of biotin gummies. Has anyone noticed if taking biotin helps prevent hair loss a little? I think hair loss is what freaks me out the most ð???

Also, is there anything I can take to prevent constipation?

MelissaKay_69
on 10/25/15 5:36 pm

From what I've heard Biotin doesn't really help. But that's just what I've heard. For constipation I take a Colace twice a day. It's a stool softener. Helps me.

Dan1962
on 10/25/15 5:51 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

Up your water, that will really help the constipation.

Ready2goNOW
on 10/25/15 6:08 pm

Hi!

I will be 2 weeks post-op on Wednesday, and have had a similar recovery.

Came home w/no pain, have been able to get at least 50 grams of protein in daily as well as about 50 oz of water. No nausea. Walking briefly...bout 5 minutes everyday.

Seems almost too easy, but I am grateful. I was weak that first week while still on clear fluids...ugh...hope to never go thru that again.

I am not too worried about hair loss. I have heard keeping up on your protein will minimize loss, but not sure.

I just had my first real bowel movement today...10 days out, but it was fine.

All is good! I am looking forward to returning to a regular diet down the road, but am satisfied for now. I can't wait to see how the sleeve will work!

Good luck!

Kathy

hollykim
on 10/25/15 6:47 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 26, 2015 at 12:33 AM Pacific Time, Jennifer J. wrote:

So I'll be two weeks post op on Tuesday. Everything is going great...idk if this is normal but I've been up and going 3 days post op. Haven't had any pain really. The max was maybe a 3/10 but as of now I have no pain at all. I think I'm doing pretty well getting 50g of protein a day and getting most of my fluids in. I'm hoping at my post op appt on Wednesday I'll be put in mushy foods.

Anyway, I started taking 5000mcg of biotin gummies. Has anyone noticed if taking biotin helps prevent hair loss a little? I think hair loss is what freaks me out the most ð???

Also, is there anything I can take to prevent constipation?

no,Biotin won't stop hair loss. Hair loss is a reaction to anesthesia. Do a search for " telegen Effluvium".

Biotin,however,WILL cause hair to grow all over your body.

For constipation,also normal after vsg,I took stool softeners every night. Keep stool soft and easy to pass.

Manndragorra
on 10/25/15 7:09 pm, edited 10/25/15 12:09 pm
with

I have been taking biotin and folic acid since I had my surgery, just over six weeks ago, and I have noticed that my hair isn't falling out like it was pre-op. however that could be from actually taking vitamins and eating a balanced diet. the thing that keeps me taking the biotin and folic acid is my stylist noticed new growth for the first time since I started preparing for surgery.

Grim_Traveller
on 10/25/15 7:09 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Biotin won't help with hair loss, but if you take too much, you'll be able to wear shorts and short sleeve shirts this winter from all the nice body hair.

As others said, drink as much as you can. Part of the reason constipation occurs is your intestines hold onto the stool to get as much moisture from it as possible, when you aren't drinking enough. That make it hard, dense, and painful.

Some iron supplements cause constipation too. If you are taking any iron that says ferrous sulfate, ferrous gluconate, or ferrous anything, it will constipate. Switch to carbonyl iron or heme iron.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Wanda1118
on 10/26/15 1:41 am
VSG on 07/09/14

I had hair loss around the 5th or 6th month of post op and tried the biotin..also went to the beauty supply and got shampoo etc to prevent hair loss...the woman there said the cancer patients use it for hair loss...didn't work...eventually it quit falling out...I had no bald spots and no one could tell..Best of luck to you on your new journey!

GoBlueGirl1998
on 10/26/15 9:55 am - MI

The hair loss will occur! It really wasn't a big deal to me and I was always a hair person. I have fine hair, but a ton of it. Once I noticed a little loss I cut my hair off and donated it and had a trendy new haircut to go with my new body and attitude. I'm a year now and I still have a ton of new hair growth coming in!

It sounds like you're doing great! Keep it up!!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Tracy D.
on 10/26/15 10:51 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Biotin does nothing to slow down or stop hair loss. It will make the new hair you grow strong and healthy. It also makes your nails grow fast and all the other hair and your body grow faster (lots more shaving of the legs).

As for constipation, a capful of Miralax in a daily shake helps things a lot.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 36 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 36 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 195 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 281 views