When did you start to eat raw veggies?

Chanti_
on 10/26/15 6:27 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

I know that broccoli and cauliflower and other high fiber veg are probably to much for me @ this point. I have been allowed to resume a full diet now with an emphasis on protein then produce if I have room. I bought these lovely cherry tomatoes today and I wanted your thoughts. Should I go for it?

I want to do a few mini skewers with halved or even quartered tomatoes, small chicken bites and maybe a small piece of babybel on a toothpick with a dipping sauce or hummus, sounds so yummy. But also possibly gut wrenching..

psychoticparrot
on 10/26/15 6:46 am

Mmmmm ... tomatoes. I remember how starved of fresh vegetables and fruits I felt during recovery from surgery. Tomatoes were one of the first things I tried when given the go-ahead by my nutritionist. Oh, they tasted good! And they went down just fine. Try a tomato or two and see how you feel. They're a good choice as you reintroduce fresh produce back into your diet. Other easy vegs -- peeled and seeded cucumbers, fresh green beans cooked very tender, zucchini.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Chanti_
on 10/27/15 12:07 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with
On October 26, 2015 at 1:46 PM Pacific Time, psychoticparrot wrote:

Mmmmm ... tomatoes. I remember how starved of fresh vegetables and fruits I felt during recovery from surgery. Tomatoes were one of the first things I tried when given the go-ahead by my nutritionist. Oh, they tasted good! And they went down just fine. Try a tomato or two and see how you feel. They're a good choice as you reintroduce fresh produce back into your diet. Other easy vegs -- peeled and seeded cucumbers, fresh green beans cooked very tender, zucchini.

psychoticparrot

OK so I took your advice and tried a couple.. I mean 5. With 1/2 a tbsp of ranch dressing and they were wonderful. Required an urgent trip to the BR about 45 mins later but (TMI) I've been having a little bit of slow movement in that area so it was win win!

Thanks for the advice!

psychoticparrot
on 10/27/15 4:27 am

5 tomatoes! You were even more hungry for fresh vegs than I was! Your resulting bathroom experience has no doubt shown you that the other posters' advice about starting vegetables slowly was good advice.

BTW, there's no such thing as TMI on this forum. Constipation, diarrhea, menstrual cramps, menopause, prostate troubles, etc., are all freely discussed as they relate to the sleeve. When it comes to your health, TMI is often the precisely RAI (Right Amount of Information).

Glad you enjoyed your tomatoes! Vegs rule! Second only to protein.

psychoticparrot

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/15 9:03 am

Whatever you do, please be very careful. Eat only a little bit and wait to see if your sleeve will handle the new food. I was about 3 months out when I over did it by eating 3 baby carrots. Chewed them well and thought I was being modest! HA! Gave me the foamies that lasted almost an hour. Nothing like having the foamies and trying to teach a room full of third graders! HORRIBLE!!!!!!

So try those cherry tomatoes at home with some free time to follow - just in case.

Chanti_
on 10/27/15 12:09 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with
On October 26, 2015 at 4:03 PM Pacific Time, kairk wrote:

Whatever you do, please be very careful. Eat only a little bit and wait to see if your sleeve will handle the new food. I was about 3 months out when I over did it by eating 3 baby carrots. Chewed them well and thought I was being modest! HA! Gave me the foamies that lasted almost an hour. Nothing like having the foamies and trying to teach a room full of third graders! HORRIBLE!!!!!!

So try those cherry tomatoes at home with some free time to follow - just in case.

Yep, good call. Glad I wasn't @ work when I had to make a mad dash for the BR. They were so worth it.

psychoticparrot
on 10/27/15 4:53 am

My sincere sympathy for your dealing with the foamies with a classroom of third-graders watching your every move! My husband taught fourth-grade for ten years, and to this day, when he encounters his now middle-aged students, they always remember the time he accidentally spit on his tie. But the thing they remember best is when he almost set the classroom on fire with a malfunctioning model volcano.

psychoticparrot

Dan1962
on 10/26/15 9:45 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I didn't eat raw vegtibles until about 4 months. Some worked out well some not so much. Today, I can eat anyhting, but early on, be careful.

mmsmom
on 10/26/15 11:51 am - Woburn, MA

It's all trial and error - 1.5 years out and i still have trouble with some veggies and things like fresh pineapple.

VSG on 04/28/2014

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/26/15 12:30 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I was told that anything with seeds, including tomatoes, were not on plan until six months after surgery. Small seeds can get lodged in the suture line as its healing and cause complications.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 289 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 341 views