New to the Group!

TerriLMac
on 11/3/15 7:02 pm

Hi Everyone - I'm new here and have been reading all of your posts for the past few months while getting myself ready for surgery which was on October 21st. The surgery went well and things are going well at home except I'm so ready to actually chew food or have more solid food. My doctor recommends 3 weeks from surgery to begin the pureed stage (or very soft food stage), so I have another week to go. I hope I make it. I'm still very tired about every other day and I travel for work tomorrow, so hope I do well. It's only an hour flight, so I think it will be fine.

I've lost 20 pounds as of yesterday so that is definitely a plus. The only complication I had was when they took my staples out they replced them with steri-strips and the nurse then placed glue on each end of the strips to keep them on. Well, my skin didn't like that glue and I had very red blisters develop on each end of my incisions (5 of them). I had to cut all the steri-strips back so the blisters could heal. None of them were close to my incision areas. It was a bummer because I was doing so well. I thought I would mention it so maybe others can request no glue be used to secure steri-strips.

I really appreciate everyone's advice, helpful hints, etc. It has really helped and I know will continue to help. I'm looking forward to reaching my goal thanks to my new sleeve!

Terri in Idaho

paflyersgal
on 11/3/15 7:54 pm
VSG on 10/06/15

My surgery was 10/6. I was so sick of cream soup and jello.. I called my doctors office and told them I need something to help with my energy for returning to work. My nutritionist said so eat greek yogurt and oatmeal. I found that eating a few spoon fulls of oatmeal every few days helped me with my lack of energy. Of course the oatmeal had to be very runny and wasn't allowed to stick to the spoon. I just used the microwave kind. I probably got about 4 spoon fulls in before feeling full. It really did help.

At 3 weeks I was able to add eggs to my diet. So I made scrambled eggs a bunch! I am almost at my 1 month point, and slowly adding in soft food like tuna and chicken salad. It was hard to control myself from not eating things I wanted.. I was so sick of liquid foods..

Congrats on your loss!! May it continue to be awesome for you!

Karen

TerriLMac
on 11/3/15 7:59 pm

Thanks Karen! Looks like we had surgery just within a few weeks of each other. It will be good to compare notes! Oh and thanks for the tips! I know my dietician won't let me have the oatmeal, but I'll try for the yogurt. Anything at this point will help!

LS2dv8
on 11/3/15 9:37 pm

Hi Teri

Welcome to the group. Everyone is super helpful. Congrats on being down 20 pounds! That is awesome

LS2DV8

Neesie57
on 11/3/15 11:12 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I couldn't even tolerate the strip-strips, so took them off after a couple of days. A couple of my incisions had really red rashes under them, and were itching like crazy. Thank goodness I took them off when I did.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Chanti_
on 11/4/15 2:50 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

I'm relatively new to the site as well, and I have found nothing but help and support here. So Welcome to you too.

Tracy D.
on 11/4/15 8:46 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Welcome, Terri!

Sorry to hear about the glue reaction - the same thing happens to me. I'm super-sensitive to ALL adhesives.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15