New Here

DahliaLady71
on 11/6/15 5:17 pm

Hi everybody!

I'm almost 44 and weigh 295 lbs. My goal weight is 135 lbs. I have diabetes and take insulin and a bunch of other meds for blood pressure, cholesterol, asthma and depression. 

I see an endocrinologist for my diabetes and he's the one *****ferred me to the Weight Loss Center at Baptist Hospital in Winston-Salem, NC. My doctor will be Dr. "Fuzz" Fernandez. The downside is that I had to be put on an 18-month waiting list just to be able to get in to see Dr. Fuzz. It has something to do with Medicaid. As much as I hate to wait a year and a half to even get a consultation, it gives me time to research the surgery and talk to others who have had the surgery. I want to learn all I can!

I have talked to a few people about having the surgery. One person I haven't talked to is my friend Robin. She is a good friend, but I'm afraid she's not going to be on board with this because she thinks that by having Medicaid, I am under the control of the government and that they're just trying to get money and keep me trapped in the "system." That's not the case at all. I've tried numerous times to lose the weight and nothing has worked long-term. My friend Robin sells weight loss and nutritional supplements and swears they will help me better than any physician prescribed diet program. She drives me crazy trying to get me to use the products and I gave them a try. Not only did I get locked in to a monthly $75 auto-ship, but I lost around 30 lbs. only to gain it all back in no time. I know I'll get an earful if I tell her I'm considering weight loss surgery. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to approach the subject with her? She's going to know about the surgery. We go to the same church and I plan on letting my church family know about this because they're about the only family I have.

I'm actually very excited (and a little scared) at the prospect of having surgery and I look forward to making friends here.

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/15 6:14 pm

I honestly wouldn't tell her a thing until you've actually had the consult. Right now all you are really doing is researching and gathering information. She doesn't need to know anything until you are actually making a decision - and even then she doesn't NEED to know. It's your choice to tell her. You are entitled to your privacy - especially with medical issues. Just my two cents....

I also question the length of time until your consult. You have co-morbidities that are pretty serious. I had a friend on medicare that started the process and was sleeved in 4 months - all on medicare. Not sure if medicaid is terribly different, but that does seem ridiculous to me. Perhaps a different surgeon is a possibility? 

Welcome to the OH board! This is a great place to read and learn and ask questions. 

White Dove
on 11/7/15 6:31 am - Warren, OH

Start your diet now.  Get rid of bread, potatoes, rice, cereal, corn, peas, potatoes, pasta, noodles, fruit, sugar and flour.  Eat only meat and non-starchy vegetables.  Research the Atkins diet plan and do the two week induction phase.  You will lose weight and be healthier for the surgery.

Drink a lot of water and get lots of exercise.  Learning your new lifestyle now will benefit you greatly after surgery.  Eating low carb will get rid of hunger and cravings.  Share your diet and exercise with your friend and with your church members.  Do not tell them about surgery.

Researching by talking with postop patients is risky.  Many do not follow their plan and can give you bad advise and serve as poor examples.  Do your research mostly by reading.  Start with Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies.  It is entertaining and truthful.  You can learn a lot from this website. 

For now get the best scale you can afford.  Get a fitness tracker.  Get good walking shoes.  Download My Fitness Pal to your smartphone if you have one.  Track your food, exercise, weight and water. 

The surgery is not so much about losing weight as it is about keeping it off.  The success of the surgery is up to you. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

LS2dv8
on 11/7/15 12:44 pm

Welcome to the board!  The previous posters have given some great advice!  Just take each day to be a healthier you.  One day one step one bite at a time 

LS2DV8

Neesie57
on 11/7/15 8:15 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

When the time comes for your consultation, you could take your friend with you so she can hear from the doctor, first hand, about the surgery and why he thinks it would be the best option for you.  Maybe, by taking her, she will have a better understanding about why you want to have the surgery.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Neesie57
on 11/7/15 8:17 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

When you go in for your consultation, you could take her with you, so she can talk to the doctor and have a better understanding as to why you want the surgery. 

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

DahliaLady71
on 11/8/15 5:55 am

I thought about asking her to go to a therapy session with me and maybe breaking the news to her there with my therapist present. I don't want her to feel put on the spot though. There's no rush to tell her, but taking her with me to my surgeon's appointment might also be a good idea as well. I want her to see the real reasons I'm wanting to have the surgery and that I'm not taking the "easy" way out of losing the weight. I know having surgery is not the easy way out at all. It will forever change my relationship with food and with myself. That's huge and probably the most important thing I've ever done.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views