Update- 2 week post op appointment today

msecanales
on 11/11/15 4:55 pm

Ok, so I have mentioned in these past few days, my concern regarding the amount that I can take in at one time. For example, I can eat a cup of cottage cheese and feel great. Another example, I ate 2 scrambled eggs for breakfast the other day.. and also felt great. I spoke to my surgeon about this today and gave those exact examples. What he told me was- regarding the cottage cheese- this is not a dense food so he can see how it was "easy" for me to eat a cup of this. In that cup, there was 180 calories and 24 grams protein. He said that was a great meal. We then talked about the 2 scrambled eggs I ate. He asked me how long it took eat it and I told him 45 minutes because I felt like it was getting stuck in my throat going down (I also had a hiatal hernia repair). He said that was the reason I was able to eat 2 eggs, because I ate it so slow. He told me that once I start eating dense foods, I will start to feel restriction. 

Turns out I had my starting weight off by a little. The doctors office shows me as start weight of 277 lb. From the weight of 277 lb to today- 246 lb... I have lost a total of 31 lb from the beginning. Since surgery, I have lost 16 lbs. Then doctor told me he is very pleased with what I have accomplished in 2 weeks. He said I am 3 lb away from reaching the goal they have for 6 week post op! 

He told me that for now while I am doing soft foods, to measure my food and eat no more than a cup of soft foods at a time.. Once I start my regular diet in 4 more weeks, he said then, I will start to feel true restriction and fullness. It will take time for me to learn my new stomach and the moment I feel satisfied, to stop. Also, he said he used a 34 F bougie on me. 

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

cmcelfish
on 11/11/15 5:12 pm

Great job I am glad surgery went well and you are not having problems with food .Do you have any pain? Keep up the great work.

Joe

msecanales
on 11/12/15 10:33 am

Thanks! I haven't had any pain. Actually, I didn't use my pain medicine once I got home. The only issues I had was really bad nausea. I couldn't hold down ice chips or anything! That lasted 2 days. No problems since then. 

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

SweetT1
on 11/11/15 5:29 pm

WOW!!! That's awesome news!!!  I've been thinking about you today and was wondering if you were going to post. I'm so glad that you got wonderful news about your issues you had.  I too am having the same issues so it makes me feel better too!  That's awesome. I don't see my surgeon until the 23rd so hopefully I will get the same response. Thank you so much for responding.  

msecanales
on 11/12/15 10:31 am

Thanks for thinking of me! Hopefully,  everything will go well you as well. Hang in there. We gotta keep posting :)

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/15 7:00 pm

Thanks for letting us all know how it went.

Well, hot damn! Wish you had mentioned the getting stuck in your throat feeling. That's your restriction at this point! You are feeling it to a degree.  By eating your eggs over a 45 minute period you allowed some of your very well chewed egg to pass through from your sleeve into your gut. As a new post op my directions were to allow only 20 minutes for a meal. At 20 minutes the meal was done. I will say that that kept portions small! 

Eggs can be hard for a lot of people in the beginning. I once knew why, but for the life of me I can't remember right now. I still like eating a hard boiled egg for a snack because 1 egg really satisfies me like a lean dense protein.

I'm glad your appointment went so well and that your surgeon put your feelings at ease. Great news on the weight loss, too. 

msecanales
on 11/12/15 10:29 am

Thanks for the response. I do feel more at ease now. I think I will wait a little longer before I try eggs again though.

Tracy D.
on 11/12/15 8:51 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I second the idea that you should only be allowing meals to be 20 minutes at this point.  It's a meal, not a banquet.  And even though you can't eat much right now you can still take in too much in that 45 minute period.  The "stuck feeling", a burp, a hiccup, a runny nose, a sneeze...all are signs that you ate too much.  So the trick is to stop BEFORE you feel any of those things.  

16 pounds in two weeks is FANTASTIC!  You keep up the great work 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

msecanales
on 11/12/15 10:28 am

I had a stuck feeling from the first bite. I think I scrambled the eggs too dry. 

Thanks for the reply :) 

Tracy D.
on 11/12/15 11:38 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Eggs can be a toughie right at the beginning.  I couldn't do hard-boiled eggs for months!  I also had issues with tuna for awhile because it can be really dry.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active