Found a Friend Who's Having VSG

DahliaLady71
on 11/22/15 10:51 am

I just learned last night that one of my good friends is having a VSG sometime after January. I'm so proud of her because she's already lost around 100 lbs. by doing a prescribed diet and exercising. She's using the same hospital and doctors that I hope to use and we have the same primary care physician. I was worried that my primary care physician would be against the idea of WLS because she's into holistic and homeopathic medicine and tends to take a non-aggressive approach to things. But my friend told me that our doctor recommended the surgery and just told her she needed to do her own research and the legwork of getting her records, etc. My friend is also going to start a weight loss support group in January and it will be held in my town once a month. 

I think this is great news and it will be so helpful to have a friend who's going through the same thing. We'll lose the weight together!  

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/15 11:54 am, edited 11/22/15 8:14 am - CA

DahaliaLady71, that is great news.  I know that a lot of people worry about their PCP being supportive of weight loss surgery.   I think more and more PCP's are open to the surgery now that there is more statistical data that shows how successful it is.    Great idea to start a support group too, especially if you don't have one that is close to you.  I ran into this when I was living in the south.  Closest support group was over 3 hours away and not an option.   It is one of the reasons why I came to OH to research and get support.    

Best of luck to you and your friend!    

cathyh45
on 11/22/15 2:00 pm - Saint Marys, GA

Hi Nik_H, I have found that I have tried for years to lose weight and the personal doctor that I had told me to cut down to 1200 calories, I live in Georgia and now it has been 5 years and I still struggle to lose the weight, I just heard of the Gastric Sleeve and I am trying to find out what all I need to do, I will call the facility in Jacksonville Florida looking for help, I am here looking for support mainly, I haven't had the surgery but have had blood work done to find out that my bad cholesterol is high, I don't have the sicknesses that some people have but I am 325 pounds and 5'4" tall. I read your post and it encouraged me to look past the PCP. Thank you :-)

mictariam7
on 11/23/15 6:30 am

I'm in Ohio too and see Dr. Lalor and his staff in Bowling Green.  I'm actually having my VSG later today and can't wait.  I would highly recommend him.  He and his staff are so amazing.  I'm not too anxious about surgery because I know I am in really good hands.  Good luck to you Nik_H.  Where are you in Ohio if you don't mind me asking?  I would love to meet up with some other WLS and do support groups. 

M

DahliaLady71
on 11/23/15 8:38 am

Best of luck to you with the surgery today! Hope it all goes as smoothly and as painlessly as it possibly can! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 129 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 380 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 416 views