Staple line leaks

Tracy W.
on 12/9/15 9:02 pm
VSG on 01/13/16 with

I am having surgery in 1 month  I am a nurse and having been reading complications.  I have had 2 bands, thus am considered a revision which is a higher risk for leaks.  Have any of you had leaks?

Grim_Traveller
on 12/10/15 5:52 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Have you asked if they found scar tissue or other damage the band my have done to your stomach? If there is damage, it could impact your next surgery. Some people are told they should have a sleeve instead of RNY, or RNY instead of a sleeve, because of band damage.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Debbie R.
on 12/10/15 7:37 am - Las Cruces, NM

I had 2 bands too. One in 2007 and the next 2008. I had the last one removed in March 2014. The surgeon was going to do a sleeve 4 months later but my insurance wouldn't cover it. So I have a different insurance and I had the sleeve done on Nov. 3. The doctor told me there was a lot of scare tissue and the surgery took longer than expected but he was able to work through it. I had no damage done to my stomach from the bands just a lot of scar tissue. I am now 5 weeks out and feel fantastic. The recovery has been better than I thought. It is highly unlikely there is any damage done to your stomach and your surgeon wont continue with the operation if he sees any damage. They should do a swallow the next day. Always talk to your doctor if you have any concerns.

(deactivated member)
on 12/10/15 8:47 am, edited 12/10/15 5:52 am
VSG on 12/17/15

Hi Tracy! I have never had staple line leaks, I'm still a week pre-op, but I would ask the surgeon or someone in the office you're going through what the surgeon's track record is. For example the surgical group I am going through has 3 surgeons and in 10 years of doing surgery from that location there have been 2 leaks and it was caused by patient non compliance not surgeon mistake/failure. My personal surgeon has never had a line leak ever in his history as a bariatric surgeon and he's been doing it for 30 years (he was doing bypass before sleeves).

hollykim
on 12/10/15 11:22 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 10, 2015 at 4:47 PM Pacific Time, Kellbellcda wrote:

Hi Tracy! I have never had staple line leaks, I'm still a week pre-op, but I would ask the surgeon or someone in the office you're going through what the surgeon's track record is. For example the surgical group I am going through has 3 surgeons and in 10 years of doing surgery from that location there have been 2 leaks and it was caused by patient non compliance not surgeon mistake/failure. My personal surgeon has never had a line leak ever in his history as a bariatric surgeon and he's been doing it for 30 years.

um, sleeves haven't been being done for 30 years. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/10/15 1:52 pm, edited 12/10/15 5:51 am
VSG on 12/17/15

Yes and my surgery center has been open 10 years, but my surgeon did them before that when he lived back on the East Coast and did bypass before sleeves existed. Sorry if that wasn't clear by my wording.

cmcelfish
on 12/10/15 10:04 am

Go on YouTube watch the operation. They have a tool that cuts the stomach while stappleing the stomach 3 rowscof staples and corderizing the cut

Most doctors go back for safety and sew along the stapel line. I guess anything is possible but it looks like they take every precaution. Watching the operation made me see how careful they are

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views