3-for-1 Gastric Sleeve, Nissen, Gallbladder

GeorgiaPeach18
on 12/10/15 7:49 am
VSG on 12/15/15

Has anyone here had a lap Nissen at the same time as their VSG? I am scheduled for this surgery on 12/15/15, at which time my gall bladder will also be removed, and have now read some threads where the Sleeve is contraindicted with the Nissen...

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

White Dove
on 12/10/15 9:33 am - Warren, OH

I would run like the wind from that surgeon.  If you have GERD then you need to do the RNY not a sleeve and Nissen.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

GeorgiaPeach18
on 12/10/15 10:07 am
VSG on 12/15/15

The Nissen is to take care of a hiatal hernia.

White Dove
on 12/10/15 10:38 am - Warren, OH

So you have hiatal hernia and no GERD?

GeorgiaPeach18
on 12/10/15 10:47 am
VSG on 12/15/15

That's correct -- hernia, no GERD -- I initially asked for the RNY, and after discussing with surgeon, we agreed the sleeve is the better option for me. I'm having difficulty finding anyone who's had these done at the same time though, to compare notes.

White Dove
on 12/10/15 11:00 am - Warren, OH

I doubt you will find anyone on here who has had those surgeries done together.  You will find many that developed GERD after their VSG and some who converted the sleeve to RNY to get rid of the GERD.

I have seen posts where they removed the Nissen in order to do weight loss surgery.

Has you surgeon done this before and does he have any successful patients that he can refer you to?

GeorgiaPeach18
on 12/10/15 12:11 pm
VSG on 12/15/15

Yes, the surgeon is very experienced with this surgery. I have requested to speak with a couple of his patients to see what their recovery was like, am waiting for their call. This surgeon has over 20 years experience in bariatric and other procedures, so I am confident in his care, just looking to hear how it was from the patient's perspective.

White Dove
on 12/10/15 2:43 pm - Warren, OH

Good luck with your surgery.  I hope the patients who contact you can give you reassurance that this works for them.

califsleevin
on 12/10/15 4:42 pm - CA

Do some searching on here (the little magnifying glass icon in the top banner) for hiatal hernia, as they are quite commonly done along with a VSG (many are asymptomatic and the hernia is found and repaired when the VSG is done). IDK if a Nissen is the only or standard procedure for doing the repair or if there are other techniques that are also used (I haven't been through it myself, knock on wood....) but you should find some on here who have been through it. Likewise, a gallbladder removal is not unusual along with the sleeve depending upon indications. My doc does them automatically with his DS's, but only if he feels stones in there when he does the VSG. As for the 3-in-1, given that both hiatal hernias and gallstones are common problems for the severely obese, it's likely that the 3-in-1 is not that uncommon, either.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Donna L.
on 12/10/15 6:48 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

If you mean a Nissen fundoplication, they cannot do one and the VSG at the same time.  Often if someone has had the Nissen performed it must be undone so the sleeve can be created - the Nissen fundoplication folds part of the stomach over, and it's a part we have removed for the VSG.  I find that... pretty weird.  

Surgically, that just doesn't make any sense.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 115 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 341 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 393 views