Two Months Post Surgery ~ Reflections to Date

TerriLMac
on 12/25/15 8:09 pm

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Today was a HUGE milestone for me as I hit 50 pounds lost today!  What a great Christmas gift to myself in more ways than one, as I had to pay for the surgery myself (and would do it again).  I am 9 weeks post surgery.

I am thrilled with my weight loss and notice it in so many ways.  My face looks way younger and thinner, my joints no longer hurt, I rarely get headaches any more (probably caused by diet Coke and eating too many sweets), I sleep better, and I definitely get around the tennis court much, much better than I did before.  I could probably go on and on, but that will suffice for now.

There are sad things too.  The thing I've noticed the most is how my life doesn't evolve around food anymore (which is a good thing, but still kind of sad).  I no longer look forward to my next meal like I used to before.  Eating to me now is more of a chore than it is pleasurable and I don't feel really good after I eat (my nutritionist says this will get better).  I no longer get a hungry feeling, but more of an empty feeling.  It's kind of sad to me still that I've lost this pleasurable part of my life, but I wouldn't trade it for being obese.  I'll just find other things to think about besides food.  It's kind of hard to believe that people can (and should) survive on such small portions.  That has never been a part of my thinking before.

Well, that's enough deep thoughts for Christmas day.  I hope everyone had a great holiday!

Terri

VSG on 10-21-15 \ 5'8" \ 54 years old \ Surgery Weight 268 \ Today's Weight 218 \ Goal Weight 160

Helena74
on 12/26/15 1:45 am - France

Congratulations!!

I've not yet had my VSG but, as you say, what you describes sounds like a price I'm willing to pay!

I wish you all the best for the rest of your journey.

VSG planned on 15th of January '16 \ 1m74 - 5'8 1/2'' \ 41y \ Surgery Weight 147kg-323Lbs \ Goal Weight : Halving myself :-)

Dan1962
on 12/26/15 6:35 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

50# in 2 months is incredible, congratulations!

Keep in mind nothing is forever.  Each step of this journey is different for everyone.  I'm about 15 months out.  Hit goal at 11 months.  I went through the stage you are in and felt very similar.  There are a lot of veterans on her that says once you reach goal, you will stress quality over quantity.  Yesterday at Christmas dinner I had prime rib with asparagus and it was delightful.  So tender and flavorful.  I skipped the potatoes, sour cream, butter and rolls and was perfectly happy.  Before we ate dinner there was the grazing of appetizers, I ate pickled veggies, scollops wrapped in bacon and grapes.  The food was amazing.

You know what was more amazing...fitting in my new form fitting leather jacket that my wife bought me :)  I received so many compliments which is so weird for me.  This will be you soon.  Embrace the great things that happen as you lose weight and the food piece of it will take care of its self!

In years past I would be thinking how to finish all of the leftovers about now.....not today, leaving for a 5 mile walk shortly.  Good luck!

cappy11448
on 12/26/15 9:28 am

This is a good, thoughtful post.  Thank you. 

I suspect you will see a shift with time and you will find that you look forward to your 4 ounces of salmon, or your tiny serving of cheeseburger quiche, or crack slaw!  The servings may be small but they can be very tasty and still healthy!  It takes a little effort but it is so worth it.

Congratulations on your 50 pounds lost and all your wonderful NSV's.  Great job working that sleeve!

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

psychoticparrot
on 12/26/15 11:26 am

Terri wrote: "It's kind of sad to me still that I've lost this pleasurable part of my life..."

In Overeaters Anonymous meetings, members often say that foods that cause weight gain, especially sweet and starchy foods, are like abusive boy(girl)friends. You may love them to death, but they're just no good for you. 

As in all abusive relationships when they end, your sadness for your lost foods will fade as you adjust to your new eating habits. At two months post-op, I would look longingly at the food left on my plate because I just couldn't take another bite. Over the following two months, my attitude underwent an almost subconscious shift. Instead of yearning after large quantities, I would watch my family or people in restaurants dig into what now seemed like immense amounts of food, and I would wonder how anyone could eat so much food.

I now find that I get more enjoyment from my few bites of delicious healthy foods than I ever got from a big bag of Cheetos. I'm still in the process of learning to appreciate the feeling of true hunger (as opposed to cravings). When I start to get hungry, I usually have a hot cup of plain unsweetened tea to hold me over until mealtime. Obesity is a disease of the mind as well as the body. Although I know I'll have to struggle with it for the rest of my life, I'm now certain that health and well-being are worth fighting for.

Good luck to you in your fight.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Donna L.
on 12/26/15 8:36 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I still have many issues wrapping my head around the portions.  I'm just finally starting to adjust 6 months out.  Part of me feels awful because I have friends who are actively trying to lose weight, but they continue to eat, well, like I used to--like I still want to, sometimes, and I notice this.  I find myself annoyed at other people overeating, and it's none of my business!  This upsets me and I am working on it.  It probably reminds me of my old habits, so when I find myself doing it I look at my own behavior instead and remind myself to not worry about it.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life