KatnMac
on 1/10/16 12:21 am
VSG on 02/15/16

Hi! I've been reading here off and on the past few months while I've been going through the pre-authorization stages for surgery.  I don't know why it has taken me so long to register. My date is now scheduled for February 15th. I go in Monday to meet with the nutritionist as I start my 4 week modified liquid diet.

Now that it's getting so close, I'm finding myself getting more apprehensive rather than excited. I have a very supportive family who assures me I'm making this decision for all the right reasons.... Yet, all this doubt is starting to slink in, and I'm not sure why.

Anyhow, I guess I was just looking for a bit of support and confirmation from others that going through with their VSG was the best choice they made.

cappy11448
on 1/10/16 6:58 am

Welcome to the forum!  I hope you find it as informative and supportive as I have.

Its normal to feel some anxiety.  You are in good company!  But if you've been struggling with obesity for some time, as most of us have, weight loss surgery can be a life-saver.  It really changes the physiology and makes weight loss possible.  Not easy, but possible.

Both the surgeries and the anesthesia have been improving with time, and they are much less invasive and safer than in my youth (which was a long time ago! )  In most cases, people come thru the surgery with minimal problems.  So try not to worry.  There will be plenty of time to worry later, if there is something to worry about! 

The process of getting used to my new tummy was much worse than the surgery itself.  It was not fun, but it was manageable.  All in all, it was so worth it.  I'd do it once a year if I had to for the benefit of being healthy. 

So try to relax and enjoy the journey.  WLS really works.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

KatnMac
on 1/10/16 10:14 am
VSG on 02/15/16

Thank you for responding. I just read your post about three years ago today, and it is a huge motivator to follow the plan.  That in itself is scary as food has always been such a huge part of my life. But I'm also looking forward to taking control and focusing on food in a new way.

I have struggled with weight my entire life, losing it and then gaining it back with more. I used to try to lose weight look better, but the last couple of years have been diagnosed with so many health issues, that I find myself afraid I won't be here when my youngest graduates high school. I find that motivating me more than anything.

I appreciate your insight and support!

psychoticparrot
on 1/10/16 9:57 am

"Now that it's getting so close, I'm finding myself getting more apprehensive rather than excited."

If you found yourself looking forward with calm pleasure to a medical procedure that will remove most of your stomach, then you would have something to be apprehensive about. It's major surgery. You should feel some apprehension, and everyone experiences a revival of doubts and reservations just before surgery. All normal.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

KatnMac
on 1/10/16 10:17 am
VSG on 02/15/16

I appreciate you saying this. I was starting to think maybe I needed to rethink having the surgery and give it more time trying to lose--again-- without surgery.

Luvmygs
on 1/10/16 10:50 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I'm pretty sure most people went through the same apprehensive feelings just before surgery. I myself was totally excited! I couldn't wait to get healthier and I can't begin to tell you how happy I am today. It was the BEST decision I ever made. Yes, I won't lie, it was a little rough after surgery not being able to eat solids for about 4-5 weeks, but now life is amazing. Keep us posted on your surgery and we'll all be with you through your journey. Chrisitne

rhudson
on 1/10/16 1:26 pm - Melrose Park, IL
VSG on 12/09/14

That nervousness is natural. We've all felt it.  I also can attest to thinking maybe I could try and do this on my own, especially since I had really learned and understood the low carb way of eating we need to follow. 

Truth is, I've never been able to maintain previous weight loss attempts....how many darned times can a person gain and lose 100+ pounds before their health is at risk?

I believe this surgery was my best short at finally being able to keep the weight off.

As of today, I'm at my goal weight after 13 months post surgery.  A little underwhelming - nothing really changes, you just continue on the food plan and get some exercise.

The first few weeks after surgery, until you can get back to soft and solid foods are tough, but you'll get through them. It's a part of the process we all have to go through.

Best of luck to you and much success!  Keep us all posted on your progress.  

Surgery Date: 12/9/14 - Highest Weight: 349 - Surgery Weight: 305 - Current Weight: 137
Goal reached in 13 months - 212 total pounds lost including pre-op
(M1: -20) (M2: -18) (M3: -11) (M4: -11) (M5: -14) (M6: -1) (M7: -18) (M8: -7) (M9: -15)

(M10: -13) (M11: -7) (M12: -10) (M13: -10) (M14 -6) (M15: -7) - 168 lbs lost post-op

TeashaLorna
on 1/11/16 10:55 am - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

Welcome to the forum,

Yes Yes YES, VSG was the best thing I ever did for myself. I have been maintaining for quite some time now, not even sure how long. Around two to two and half years with only minor fluctuations in my weight. I went down 211 lbs with a bounce back of about 5 lbs (206 lost) to my bodies happy place. I have gained a bit over Christmas this year (only 4 left to take off) but - it is only a bit and I am well on the road to taking that off. So yes you will be ever so glad that you have taken this road.

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Kathy S.
on 1/11/16 3:16 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Welcome to ObesityHelp!  We are glad that you have joined our OH community.  

As you check out OH, you'll see many features and tools that are created for our members as you embark on your WLS journey.  OH is a great place for support, research and tools to assist you with your journey.  Here are a few suggestions:

About Obesity
About Weight Loss Surgery
Medical Necessity
Post-op Planner
BMI Calculator
Health Tracker

We also have a great HELP SECTION with tutorials to assist you with navigating our site. If you need our assistance, you can reach us at [email protected]

You didn't mention what surgery type you are researching and or having.  May we suggest you post on the forum for your surgery type to reach out to those that are having the same surgery as you.

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)

We look forward to your updates

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

JudithJohnson
on 1/12/16 10:49 am
VSG on 12/03/15

I would find it rather odd if you weren't apprehensive at all :)

The closer I drew to the surgery, the more I started to wonder if I really wanted to do this and if i made the right decision, and even the morning of the surgery I asked my husband a 100 times on the way over if I was doing the right thing and if I could handle this.

I think we have all been through it. For starters it is major surgery which in itself is reason enough to be a tad apprehensive, and 2nd, your life is about to change and you will be reacquainted with yourself and with all the things you are now able to do because you are doing this. Say hello to a whole new world and a whole new you.

I am 5 weeks post op, doing great, and now, looking back, I don't even know what I was worried about. I think most of us can confirm this is the BEST thing we have ever done for ourselves!

You got this!

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180