PPI's

Amber2280
on 1/5/16 8:18 pm

Hi All!  

I am 2 days away from my 1 month post-op..woohoo!! I have been feeling wonderful and I have been doing really well with all the foods my surgeon has recommended. It has been so nice to eat real food again...and so great to be full and satisfied with small amounts.  I am doing really well keeping up on my water intake, vitamins etc. I am down 35 lbs since surgery! Yay!  It has been wonderful to be back to work and able to manage this new lifestyle even with my busy, demanding career. 

My issue is...in just the last 3-4 days I have noticed a sudden return of that empty, gurgling, hunger sensation...I am assuming because of all I most likely need a PPI.  (Gosh I hope that is what it is...I have SOO enjoyed the lack of that hungry feeling, it scares me to think it might be back!) On a weird side note, anytime I laydown in bed on my stomach I also have this hungry, gurgling sensation?!? 

My question for you all...

What PPI do you use? Do you reccommend any of the OTC meds or do you use an RX med? 

Thanks in advance!

Amber   

"I was born to be a nurse; to comfort, to aid, to save, to teach, to inspire.

It's My Calling, My Passion, My World...It's My Life!"  

Cardamom
on 1/5/16 8:26 pm

I use Famotidine (20mg).  Doctor has asked me to try to do one a day, but after a few days the hunger comes back and I will switch to two a day for a day or two..

SW:218 Surgery Weight: 204 on 7/20 M1:178.5 (-25.5) M2:164.5 (-14) M3:151 (-13.5) M4:144 (-7) M5:138.8 (-5)  CW:131.6  GW:130

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/16 10:23 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

I'm taking Omeprozol I buy it over the counter from Costco and a box has 3 weeks of meds and I take one a day, no acid at all since starting them.

rocky513
on 1/6/16 5:41 am - WI

Your new "plumbing" is going to make a lot of noise.  Don't mistake that noise for hunger.  It's not.  If you use the search function at the top of the page and type in stomach noise, or gurgling stomach you will get hundreds of posts about it.  I am 5 years out and my stomach still "sings' to me daily.  A PPI is a good idea.  Excess stomach acid does mimic hunger, but it has nothing to do with the gurgling noise.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Tracy D.
on 1/6/16 7:01 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I had to go on prescription Protonix (40mg per day).  Tried Prilosec and Zantac and I'm allergic to them both (finding that out was hive-hell).  

What you're describing sounds like excess acid. I would start out with an OTC that your doctor recommends but if that doesn't cut it don't hesitate to get on the good stuff.  Excess acid is dangerous for our small tummies. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

psychoticparrot
on 1/6/16 7:49 am

Call your surgeon. Your instincts about needing a PPI are probably correct, but your surgeon needs to know so that he/she can prescribe the right med for you.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 1/6/16 11:51 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I'm surprised that your surgeon didn't give you a prescription for a PPI to start taking immediately after surgery.  I was required to take one for at least six months.

I suggest calling your surgeon's office, tell them about your gurgling stomach, and request a prescription for a PPI.  Mine was lansoprazole and worked.  Good luck!

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Debbie R.
on 1/6/16 4:13 pm - Las Cruces, NM

What is PPI? I am assuming it has something to do with acid, just wondering what the initials meant

Amber2280
on 1/6/16 4:24 pm

PPI stands for Proton Pump Inhibitor.  It is a class of medication that basically switches off the production of excess acid in the stomach. They are very effective. :)

Amber   

"I was born to be a nurse; to comfort, to aid, to save, to teach, to inspire.

It's My Calling, My Passion, My World...It's My Life!"  

Amber2280
on 1/6/16 4:22 pm
Most Active