Dr says it's normal

CMR1075
on 1/19/16 9:58 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

I know I am only 5 days post op from surgery but man...this gas pain is insane. I can't get rid of it. The doctor tells me it's going to get better every day but I am just a little sad. When I take a deep breath, it hurts. When I eat (well drink) something, it hurts. I guess I didn't expect to have the feeling of gas for this long, especially since I never had it from the gall bladder removal or my hysterectomy a few years back. I have been super cranky today because of it. My poor family lol. I know everyone's body is different and not everyone has the same issues or for as long but can anyone give me any insight on things.  

ubserved
on 1/19/16 11:47 pm

It will decrease as time goes forward, keep your breathing exercises going, make sure you are taking your prevacid or whatever acid reducer your doc prescribed you and keep walking. I know personally speaking, I didn't have a lot of gas pain, my biggest gripe was that I tend to sleep on my left side or on my stomach and it took a while until I was able to do so, but each day was a little better. Hang in there.

CMR1075
on 1/20/16 7:28 am
VSG on 01/15/16

Oh sleeping on my side has been a breeze. So I guess I can't have it all lol. I think I would trade the not being able to sleep on my side for taking away this horrid pain. 

staceylynne13
on 1/19/16 11:58 pm
VSG on 01/06/16

it does get better, took almost a full week for me. i did get bad gas with my hysterectomy though boy that was bad, much worse than this was! walking helped but i also got gas every time i drank which he said was fairly normal too. i now just get gas once in a while. i'm twelve days out.

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/16 3:37 am
VSG on 12/17/15

I'm so sorry hun. I wish I had different advice for you than walk and sip but I don't. Praying you're feeling better soon! 

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/16 5:06 am

Walk, walk, walk, sip, sip sip and it will get better. One day you will look back and say yes it was worse than you expected but SO worth it.

JudithJohnson
on 1/20/16 5:29 am
VSG on 12/03/15

Walk, walk and walk some more. What also helped me is sitting on the edge of my bed, or on my fitness ball, put a pillow against by belly care carefully bounced up and down a bit that made me burp. Have those GasX strips available!

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180

CMR1075
on 1/20/16 7:25 am
VSG on 01/15/16

I have been using the GasX but doesn't seem to do to much for me. I will try your suggestion as well and see if that help! Thank you :)

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/16 10:10 am

GasX won't do a damn thing. don't bother. It just has to work itself out. I'm guessing that your doc didn't deflate you as well as he could have. I promise you, it will pass. It just takes time and that's the only thing that will help - time. Sorry your experience is so tough on the gas front. Sucks! 

Nick S.
on 1/20/16 6:06 am - Detroit, MI
VSG on 12/22/15

The trapped gas pain is really a bummer. Like you said, it affects everyone differently so it's hard to have an exact remedy, but there are a few things that usually work.

Personally, my gas pain only lasted one day after surgery. I pushed myself to walk every single chance I could in the hospital, including walking all the way down to the lobby to get in the car when I was headed home. I know not everyone is so fortunate, however.  :( 

My friend who also had a VSG experienced incredibly bad trapped gas pain in his shoulders for days and days. He said walking didn't help much, but he found that getting down on all fours in a sort of kneeling or praying position and lowering his head as low as possible with his back end in the air helped the gas pass through his system. 

Also, you can never overlook the magical healing properties of water. Getting enough fluids always makes things better. Good luck!

Heaviest: 335   Currently: 190

VSG in December 2015

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views