Stressed about fluid intake.

Sammy_85
on 1/24/16 5:37 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

Thanks, I'm trying! I've done a little better today after receiving some very helpful tips.

Donna L.
on 1/24/16 4:44 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I tried to use little bathroom cups to sip post-op and the shot glasses were a way better idea.  The paper cups dissolved because it took so long to sip, heh.  I also used sugar free popsicles a bit, but the sugar alcohol upset my stomach even in small amounts so I wound up freezing crystal light and then blending it until it was slushy.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Sammy_85
on 1/24/16 5:38 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

Crystal light is easy on my stomach so I may have to try that, thanks!

cappy11448
on 1/24/16 7:24 pm

It took me quite a while to get to 64 ounces per day.  I think at one month out, I was getting about 45 ounces per day -  and less before that. I'm not saying this is good - but it was the reality of my experience.  64 ounces was just not possible for me early out. 

I think you just have to do the best you can, and watch for symptoms of dehydration. If you notice you are getting dehydrated, go to the doctor so he can give you an IV if you do get dehydrated. My doctor said they would do it in the office, if I needed it.  I never did  but it was good to know it was an option if necessary. 

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Sammy_85
on 1/24/16 10:10 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

It's good to know that someone else out there struggled with fluids too. I am doing better since I posted though; I've had 48 ounces today so I'm making progress. Luckily, I have a RN for a sister who works on a post-op floor so she has been monitoring me closely, LOL. She'll buckle me in and drive me to my doctor if she sees any signs of dehydration, no doubt about that! Thank you for your response and well wishes, cappy. This site is wonderful for newbies like me. 

ubserved
on 1/25/16 1:25 am

I wouldn't be overly concerned about it right this moment, I know in my case they pumped so much IV fluid into me, I came home weighing almost 5 pounds more than when I went in the day before, I think that's because they know you aren't going to be getting the fluid level you need in the short term because of the swelling from the surgical area. I would watch it and keep track of it and drink as much as you can. I know prior to surgery I could easily drink 100-120 ounces a day without even thinking about it, I am now over two months out and I do get my 64 ounces each day, but it's an effort and by effort I mean remembering to drink, I was able to drink freely about 3-4 days after I came home, meaning more than a half an ounce at a time. It just takes time, alternate your fluids with your protein shakes, while fluids are more important than protein at this early point, protein is what's going to make you heal so like I suggest, alternate between them. Good luck.

Michelle13Tx
on 1/25/16 5:49 pm
VSG on 01/20/16

The timer idea is good because it is easy to forget to keep sipping.  I didn't set a timer but I sip on something throughout the day. 

the first few days post op I could only take VERY small sips and would wait to feel it actually go down past the opening.  Sometimes it hurt but each day it does get better.  Hang in there and sip sip sip all day!!

Hope it is getting better for you.  hang in there :)

Tiki3211
on 1/31/16 12:13 pm

I'm 4 months out and still can't get in 64 oz. Of fluid.  I was doing just about what you are at the same point and I was told by my NUT that as along as my urine (TMI) wasn't murky that should be fine...and I was.  As far as the tightness in your chest....slow down...it does get better.  Hope this helps.  Good luck on your journey.

Most Active