Too few carbs?

Sammy_85
on 2/14/16 8:49 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

I'm wondering if there is such a thing as too few carbs? I'm only 4 weeks out from surgery so maybe it is too soon to be concerned but I am only getting about 18 grams of carbs a day. I am getting over 60 grams of protein so I am happy about that and I've lost 28 lbs so far which I think is great but I don't want to be starving my body of carbohydrates. Do I need to be concerned or am I on track? Any input is welcome!

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 2/14/16 9:04 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

This is a question I have jotted down to ask on Thursday, which is my next follow up.

I currently get between 13 and 20 which I think is fine.. I thought 30 was the number to stay under for weight loss, but I wanted to ask the dietitian to make sure.  

Sammy_85
on 2/14/16 10:27 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

Thanks for your response! I've seen 30 grams as the number to stay under as well but I'd also like to know what your dietician has to say.

acbbrown
on 2/14/16 9:30 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Your body normally burns carbs for energy. However in weight loss, low carb diets force your body to burn fat instead (and the point is to burn fat right?). 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Sammy_85
on 2/14/16 10:29 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

Yes, burning fat is definitely what I'm after! Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 2/14/16 9:43 pm

The answer you get will vary according to the background and experience with which the person approaches nutrition. You will find that there are RDs that still espouse that all people should get 50% of their daily nutrition from carbs. I worked with one like that and a different one that wanted intense carb restriction during weight loss - 20 grams maximum per day. 

That said, there are no such things as essential carbohydrates. There are essential fats and amino acids (proteins) that are required for cell generation. So you need fat and protein. Carbs are not an essential part of the weight loss diet. When you are maintaining and no longer have have stores of fat to convert to energy, then carbs will play a more important role in your daily diet. But for now, not so much. 

Now, I'm no doctor, nutritionist, dietician. The only credential I have to offer you (other than my teaching credential ) is being a formerly morbidly obese man who is living a low carb life, at peace with food and is a "normal" size. 

Sammy_85
on 2/14/16 10:39 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

Thank you for explaining the science behind it for me; I trust in your credentials! My other concern is that I'm pretty low energy right now and if I could, I'd probably nap the afternoon away. Please tell me that my energy level will normalize soon? I thought it could be because I'm not eating enough carbohydrates but it's probably just my body recovering from surgery and getting adjusted to this new way of eating. I'd like to know what you think. Thanks kairk!

(deactivated member)
on 2/14/16 11:12 pm

You're not even quite a full month out. You are still healing. I think most of us arent' completely back to feeling quite normal for about 6 weeks. I felt fine very quickly, but I got tired very easily during the first 6 weeks. It was at about 10 weeks that I felt really great - lots of energy, great mood, etc... You'll get there.

Sammy_85
on 2/14/16 11:26 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

Very good to know, thanks kairk!

LosinginAZ
on 2/14/16 9:46 pm

You have lost 28 since surgery? That is awesome. I'm not super jealous or anything :P

I am averaging about 13 grams a day now, but still on puree. I think 30 is the max and you will likely get closer to that as you eat more veggies. 

Keep up the good work! :)

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views