Hungry?

KatnMac
on 2/18/16 8:13 pm
VSG on 02/15/16

I sure didn't expect this after surgery: I'm hungry! The rational part of my brain is telling me it's just my head saying I'm hungry, and all the growling noises is my tummy healing. The other part of me is saying I need to have more to eat.

im thinking my issue is that I'm not eating enough? I've had 4 oz protein shake, 3 bottles of water, 2 oz soup and 2 oz yogurt. I didn't have trouble getting any of that down, which I had prepared for.

As for pain, I'm feeling great.... Haven't taken any pain pills since I got home yesterday. Surprises me I feel so good. I'm sore, just not enough to take pain pills.

has anyone else experienced hunger after surgery? And if so, what did you do?

KatnMac
on 2/18/16 8:25 pm
VSG on 02/15/16

My biggest worry yesterday was that I only had pain pills every 4 hours, but I have ended up not needing them since I got home. Funny how the body works!

CMR1075
on 2/18/16 10:17 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

I remember posting something similar right after my surgery a month ago. I would think I was hungry, have one or two sips of some broth or protein shake and was full. That went on for over a week if I remember and I couldn't figure out if I was hungry or it was the surgery. In my opinion (since I had it really bad) it was the gas rumbling around inside that sounded like hunger. lol

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/16 12:22 am

Are you taking an acid reducer? Sounds like over acid production which is very normal this early out. Your body still is producing acid for your normal sized stomach. the rumbling and growling is more than likely acid, especially if it's happening about 30 minutes or so after one of your mini meals. 

KatnMac
on 2/19/16 12:42 am
VSG on 02/15/16

That is it exactly! They didn't talk to me about taking acid reducers. I'll call tomorrow and get a recommendation from them. Thanks!

White Dove
on 2/19/16 5:43 am - Warren, OH

As a former "normal" eater, it is amazing what a tiny amount of food I actually need.  I was used to sitting down to a plate of lasagna, salad, Italian bread and chocolate cake for dessert.  Now dinner is a 1/4 cup of ricotta cheese warmed with a tablespoon or two of sauce and I am satisfied.

I eat five or six small meals a day of about 200 calories each meal.  It took almost two years to work up to eating that much.  During weight loss stage I stayed at under 700 calories a day.  That was for 18 months.

You are eating enough and if your body needs more it will get it by burning excess fat.  The head hunger is hard and we have been conditioned to eating much more than we need.  When you start eating lean, dense protein you will get a full feeling.  Yogurt and soup won't do that, but you need to let your insides heal first.

Having a tiny stomach only works if you use it to limit your food intake.  You need high protein and tiny amounts of food to succeed at losing and maintaining your weight loss.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

GoBlueGirl1998
on 2/19/16 6:34 am - MI

It sounds like head hunger to me! :)

I didn't have this issue after surgery, but other in my support group experienced this! I think your head has to catch up to your body.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/16 8:38 pm - Uxbridge, MA
VSG on 02/17/16

how are you doing?  I too am hungry ..like crazy hungry . Wanted to see how your progressing 

KatnMac
on 2/24/16 11:20 pm
VSG on 02/15/16

Hi. I'm so glad you wrote! I think of you every day. Sorry I haven't been on or written you. I've gotten pretty depressed and wondering what I did to myself.... I didn't think I'd be much support right now. I think I'm slowly coming out of it, but it's a struggle every day.

Physically I'm doing pretty well. I was super hungry until yesterday. I will say for as hungry as I am/was, I struggle to get enough protein and liquid. Yesterday I only got in 8 oz! I'm worried about dehydration a bit. I know I'm struggling with wanting to eat and chew.... I'm seeing commercials on TV, and want nothing more than a bite! Particularly those new KFC spicy things. Anyhow, I feel like a hot mess right now. Do I sound like one? Lol.

How are you doing? I do think the hunger will get better. What worries me, is that when I do eat, I can easily get 4oz of soup eaten over 30-45 minutes and not feel full. I've really concentrated on eating today, and ate four meals and drank 30 oz. Not great, but better than the last four days.

how are you healing? I'm hoping well and that you're feeling good. I'm excited to hear how you're doing!

(deactivated member)
on 2/25/16 5:25 am - Uxbridge, MA
VSG on 02/17/16

Oh honey, I am going through the same thing!! I broke down the other day as my file was having a nice pasta dinner and my kids had pizza. I just wanted to eat. I miss rating and I feel like oh my gosh what did I do. I have seen others go through this phase and I know we are not alone. On top of that my boyfriend broke up with me over a post I put on facebook that had nothing to do with him, he was being rediculous and I am like if you can dump me at my most weakest then screw you , but it had pushed me even lower. Ugh men. Lol anyhoo we will get through this, it is only temporary, soon we can eat .. this is a way to prepare us for a lifetime of eating better ... I am down a bit since surgery about 8 lbs. Only been a week so I will take it. I can see the weight loss in my face. I am feeling pretty well. Still have some pain to the Left abdomen but the,sites are healing well and getting itchy lol. Try and hang in there. You got me and we are going through this together!! Just reach out. I need you too !! Xoxo 

Most Active