Need help - aversion to food

Sammy_85
on 2/22/16 5:44 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

I never thought I'd be saying this but I have developed an aversion to food. It is to the point where I dread having to eat. Nothing tastes good. I try sweet, savoury, and completely bland foods. I try various textures of food as well but nothing is pleasant to eat. I force myself to drink my protein drinks and eat my Greek yogurt because I know how important it is to meet my nutritional goals but it is so hard and I have to suppress my gag reflex. I don't know why this is happening but it is worrisome. I have an appointment to see my therapist on Thursday and I'll be talking to her about this but I was hoping someone might have some words of wisdom for me. Has anyone had this happen to them? How can I overcome this?

(deactivated member)
on 2/22/16 6:29 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

It will pass. I had the same thing happened like a month ago when I was 5 weeks out, nothing was appealing I was gagging down shakes and yogurt. You unfortunately have to work through it but you will get through, I believe in you! If you can stand crystal lite your best bet is to get unflavored protein powder and put it in that for the time being so you're meeting protein and water goals. *hugs* I wish there was more I could say or do for you hun.

Sammy_85
on 2/22/16 7:12 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I'm glad you were able to overcome it; that gives me hope! I don't want to love food like I used to but it would be nice not to struggle when eating. I'll try your suggestion for the crystal light and unflavoured protein powder since I have no problems drinking. Thanks again!

LeapSecond
on 2/22/16 6:44 pm - AR

Talking to someone is a good idea.  You are new post op at a month out.  Nothing tastes right.  Give it some time.  Also my wife's taste was altered by the anesthesia.  That might be part of it.  I understand the food aversion though.  Most things I eat don't give me the pleasure they once did.  

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Sammy_85
on 2/22/16 7:19 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

Thanks for responding! I'm trying to be patient but it's definitely not my strong suit. I think I'm struggling because I also used to get so much pleasure from food and now it's the exact opposite; it has been hard to wrap my head around it. Here's hoping I get over it soon! Thanks again for your insight.

kyzze
on 2/23/16 12:17 am
VSG on 12/29/15 with

Wow, I was just talking to my sister about this the other day. I get no pleasure from eating. That feeling of euphoria when something just taste so good is gone. I eat because I need to, not because I necessarily want to, so I know exactly how you feel. I am glad that I am not the only one feeling this way. If you find out some info about why this happens please share.

Sammy_85
on 2/23/16 3:18 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

Isn't it so strange? I never thought it would be a chore to eat but it really is. I think a big part of it for me is that I have absolutely no hunger so it feels like I'm forcing myself to eat when I really don't feel like eating. On a positive note, at least we know the surgery has been effective! It seems like we aren't the only two who have experienced this though; I think it's relatively common after surgery. I used to get way too much joy from eating so now I'm trying to find that joy in other ways. It has been quite the adjustment!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/23/16 4:35 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Are you starting to eat foods other than Greek yogurt and protein shakes?  For example, moist chicken, eggs or tuna?

You might be burned out on the foods you've been eating, hence the aversion you've developed.  Once you can start a more normal eating plan you may not feel so burned out.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Sammy_85
on 2/23/16 5:07 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

I think you are right; I am definitely bored with Greek yogurt and protein shakes. I have tried other foods but I can only eat about an ounce at a time so I can't rely on them to meet my protein goals, hence the daily Greek yogurt and protein shakes. I'm hoping that as my restriction lessens a bit, I can start relying on a greater variety of foods for protein and cut down on the Greek yogurt and shakes. Hopefully then I'll stop dreading meal time!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/23/16 5:21 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You will.  It will get better.  I was tired of eating/drinking cold and sweet things.  You just have to white knuckle it for the first few weeks as your stomach is healing.

The best thing I ate during the pureed/soft foods stage is the Ricotta Bake.  Have you tried that?

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 80 views