Am I weird?

Allie_CA
on 2/23/16 3:19 pm
VSG on 02/15/16

So, I had my sleeve surgery 8 days ago. I'm in a full liquid diet and everything I read tells me that I need to sip constantly to get enough fluids in. Here is where I'm confuse because I'm having no problems getting my fluids in. In fact I can drink a full bottle of Propel (16oz) within 10 minutes with no need for little sips. I spoke with the nurse at my doctor's office and she said that it just may be that I don't have much swelling but I still think this is a little abnormal. Today I was able able to drink a full premier protein shake (11oz) and I felt no restriction. I'm also feeling hungry sometimes, something that I totally didn't expect. Am I weird or what?

VSG: 02/15/2016 | Height: 5'7 | HW: 250 | SW: 237 | Goal Weight: 155 | Current Weight: 192| 

Bufflehead
on 2/23/16 3:39 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Your nurse is right. You are not weird. You have a great, meticulous surgeon and a body that heals quickly. Don't look gift horses in the mouth

Seriously, there are many people who have the exact experience you do. I was one of them. It's a good thing!

White Dove
on 2/23/16 3:44 pm - Warren, OH

I had very little swelling and could drink 16oz in 10 minutes a week after surgery.  I thought that something was wrong, but it was fine.  You will probably never feel restriction from water.  You feel restriction from solid proteins like beef and chicken.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/23/16 4:31 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

No, you're not weird.  I didn't have many issues getting down fluids after surgery.

Keep in mind that the nerves in your stomach have been severed and you probably won't feel true restriction for several weeks out.  I think it was between weeks 5-6 that I started to feel it when I was eating denser foods.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

DonnaMaria
on 2/23/16 4:34 pm

Hi. I had surgery three weeks ago and had the same result with water and liquids. As everyone else said, be happy.

As far as hunger, are you taking Prilosec or something like that? They say you can get hunger from acids in your stomach. 

Sammy_85
on 2/23/16 5:22 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

Consider yourself lucky! I'm jealous, LOL! I am just over a month out and I still can't drink 16 oz in 10 minutes; it's still small sips for me. As for restriction, you will feel it when you start eating dense protein. If I eat dense protein like moist chicken or tuna, I can only eat 1-1.5 ounces. As others have mentioned, the hunger pangs you are feeling could very likely be excess acid. I was having what I thought was hunger and then I started a PPI and within 24 hours the hunger pangs went away completely; now I am never hungry. And remember, everyone has different experiences so no, you are not weird! 

Grim_Traveller
on 2/23/16 7:14 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It sounds like you're doing great. Not weird at all.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Allie_CA
on 2/23/16 8:06 pm
VSG on 02/15/16

Thank you for the reassurance. I was very worry. I'm taking Prilosec now and I'm still feeling hungry every once in a while but the protein shakes are helping with that. I'm just glad to know that what I'm feeling is OK. Thanks. 

VSG: 02/15/2016 | Height: 5'7 | HW: 250 | SW: 237 | Goal Weight: 155 | Current Weight: 192| 

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/16 1:32 am
VSG on 12/17/15

Everyone is different so no you're not weird. I can chug water like a boss. But my friend who is over a year out from surgery cannot. Same with protein shakes. I have been like this since day after surgery in 2 hours from when they started me on clear liquids I got in 38 oz my surgeon was super impressed and because of this I was able to leave the hospital day after surgery. I only feel restriction when I eat, even if it's not as dense, I can feel restriction from a cheese stick or yogurt which for most people are slider foods. I'm glad water is easy for me because I have hi****er goals basically every day since about a week out from surgery and I'm nine weeks out now.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 236 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views