Could acid reflux be......

tracik3
on 2/24/16 5:43 am

from the way the sleeve is cut?  I'm just wondering if this has anything to do with some people having it so bad and others not. 

I do suffer from this and been on nexium for about 10 years. I REALLY want the sleeve but am so scared of reflux getting worst.  But, I have read where some peoples actually get better. 

Grim_Traveller
on 2/24/16 6:07 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It could be, but there are lots of variables.

I wouldn't have a sleeve if I already had reflux. I know 2 people that revised to RNY because reflux got so bad with VSG. RNY made their reflux disappear overnight. I'd only want one surgery, not 2.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Bufflehead
on 2/24/16 8:17 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Do you know why you have acid reflux now? If it is because of a hiatal hernia (which can be diagnosed with an endoscopy or upper GI series), that can usually be fixed surgically at the same time as your sleeve surgery. That is what I had done, and my acid reflux cleared up immediately and I haven't suffered from it since, 2+ years post-op.

If, on the other hand, my reflux had not been caused by a hernia, I definitely would have chosen a gastric bypass. Gastric bypass is a great surgery which excellent results. I know several people who have had it and all are doing great and look terrific and healthy and slim.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/24/16 11:29 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

They did both at same time - I am very happy with RYN because of this.  Without the RNY, most people can;t get the hiatal hernia fixed (too minor of an issues for surgery) and just have to live with the pain and suc**** and PPIs all the time.

Sharon

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/16 9:46 am

I had mild reflux prior to VSG. I had no issues after VSG for quite sometime. However, I was put on a PPI for over production of acid (without reflux). Now when I don't take a PPI I have reflux. If I had chronic reflux prior to VSG I don't think I would have opted for VSG, but I'm not sure. I really wanted VSG over RNY, so who knows. You would do best to discuss your reflux issues honestly with your surgeon and possibly a GI doc and get their recommendations. 

Best luck with your research and decision.

Spencerella
on 2/24/16 10:29 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I had long standing moderate GERD prior to surgery but still chose VSG because my symptoms were well controlled with ppi's. I required a double dosage for first two years post op but only require half of my pre op dosage now. 

Was this a good or bad decision?  I really don't know and will likely never know how I would have fared with RNY vs VSG. I made a decision after considering the possibilities of both procedures and went with VSG.  

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

tracik3
on 2/24/16 11:23 am

Thanks for the replies! I have been reading these boards for a year.  When I first started looking my insurance would not approve the sleeve. But, that has just recently changed.

I do not know why I have the reflux. Over eating, bad choices, etc.  Not sure about the hernia. I was scooped a few years ago and they didn't say anything about one.

I do know that a couple of years ago, I lost some weight and it was not as bad. 

My BMI is barely a 35. I just don't feel comfortable getting the rny. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 287 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 339 views