HELP!!

BREE_
on 3/8/16 5:03 am
VSG on 03/21/16

I WAS SUPER EXCITED FOR MY SURGERY ON 3/21 BUT I THINK IVE BEEN OVERTHINKING IT AND NOW IM HAVING SECOND THOUGHTS UPON IT..IVE BEEN WATCHING VIDEOS OF YOUTUBE ETCC.. AND THEY SAID THAT ITS THE GAS THAT THEY USE TO BLOW YOU UP THAT HURTS THE MOST NOT EVEN THE INCISIONS I STARTED MY LIQUID DIET YESTERDAY AND IM ON IT FOR 2 WEEKS! DID ANYONE ELSE HAVE TO DO IT FOR THIS LONG? AND IF YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE I WOULD GREATLY APPERCIATE IT ! THANKS

Sandra F.
on 3/8/16 5:49 am

Everyone is nervous before surgery; this is perfectly normal.  Maybe stop watching the videos as they seem to be adding to your anxiety.  I was on the pre-op diet for 10 days and my surgeon did the pre-op diet according to your BMI, so if the BMI was higher, my surgeon required a longer pre-op diet.  But every surgeon is different.  The pre-op diet is one of the hardest things you will go through.  Good luck on your upcoming surgery.

mmsmom
on 3/8/16 5:50 am - Woburn, MA

It sounds like you're just getting nervous.  I didn't have any trouble with the gas - at all!!  stop watching the videos and think about all the clothes you are going to buy and how great you are going to look/feel!  Any pain/discomfort you feel is going to be temporary  but your new lifestyle is long term.  Be warned, the liquid diet is the hardest part of the entire thing.  It is miserable - but so worth it. You want to make this surgery as easy as possible for your surgeon and reduce your risks.  Just take it a day at a time and if it's too difficult to watch your family eat, remove yourself during meals - or have your liquid drink with them.  You can do it!  

VSG on 04/28/2014

Dee R.
on 3/8/16 6:09 am - CA

I was also on the 2 week liquid diet.  The first 3 days were the worst.  Then it got easier.  I also watched the videos in the beginning.  Then I stopped and concentrated on other things.  For me, the gas pains only lasted a couple days.  And, yes, I was nervous going in.  But, this has turned out to be the best thing I've ever done for myself!!!!  Hang in there!

LeapSecond
on 3/8/16 7:04 am - AR

Look at the before and after pics on OH and other sites like it. Focusing on the possibility not the negatives. A good case of nervousness is normal. When you get to the hospital tell your nurse that you are nervous and ask if she has a thing ordered for it. 

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/8/16 7:33 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Yeah, the gas pain isn't great, but it lasts for a few days tops, especially if you get up and walk around. And pain from incisions and stitches will be there for a week or two, but it gets better.

What's two weeks of being sore compared to years and years of obesity-related illness?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

JP807
on 3/8/16 7:40 am
VSG on 04/21/16

I too am schedule for 4/21 and have started the anxiety! Watching you tube and thinking about it is killing me! I am not worried moreso about the procedure - I think or at least hope I can handle that with pain meds to help.  My real frustration was from always failing or losing then gaining back that I do not want to screw this up!  I have lost 80 on my own before but that almost all came back.  I have not started in meetings and this is actually my first post to anyone!  Just nervous and now that it has become a reality with a date I am hoping I can pull through it.  I too now second guess myself!  Everyone I have talked to too have no regrets and love it.   Why should I fear it then?  I am going to start the pre op a week earlier to see if I can do it! I know I can just need the mid set.   Good Luck and keep me posted!

intothesunshine
on 3/10/16 11:14 am

I am waiting for approval and hopefully will go for mine in April @ some point... I am excited and nervous but mostly excited....  After having a C-section I am thinking this has to be easier....  (fingers crossed)  Good luck and keep me posted as we will be going in around the same time....

GoBlueGirl1998
on 3/8/16 9:30 am - MI

Relax! You're going to be okay! Look at everyone on this forum that has survived and made it thru! Guess what....you will too!

I was very lucky and I didn't have any complications and I felt great! My advice to you as walk as much as you can after surgery. If I wasn't sleeping, I was walking and between those two I was sipping!! 

You'll be okay!!! I swear!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

ubserved
on 3/8/16 9:54 am

Don't over think it, I am glad I had the surgery, but to be honest, right up until the wheeled me into the OR, I was half tempted to jump off the gurney and run for the door. I had two weeks of liquid diet prior to surgery, it ended up being only 12 days being they moved my surgery up 2 days early. The first 4-5 days sucked out loud, but after that, it was easy. I am assuming those first 5 days were the carb withdraw. I basically was on my Sobes, my protein shakes, and as much SF jello that I wanted. I swear I had more jello in 12 days than I have had in 12 years. As to the gas, the more you walk around after surgery, the easier it is. I had some that made laying down to sleep a little aggravating, I tend to sleep on my left side or chest down on the bed. Each day got easier than the last. I really wouldn't stress over it, even if there is a little discomfort, it's very manageable and won't last overly long. Just once you have surgery, you really need to make sure you get your protein shakes in, even though it's sip by sip, protein is what will help you heal, my doc wanted 90 grams a day, I was pushing closer to 150 grams a day and I healed very fast, you also will want to make sure you get your fluid in, and I don't count the protein shakes in that category. That was my hardest and still is the hardest part for me. Prior to surgery, I would do 100 ounces easily a day. Now that is an effort, in part, I am just not that thirsty anymore, but if you are short on water, your body will hold on wha****er you have and it will slow your weight loss, beside that, the last thing you want to do is get dehydrated and a trip to the ER for fluids. Just remember this mantra, sip sip sip, walk walk walk. You'll be fine and trust me, I was skeptical as well, people I know who have had the surgery just kept telling me to trust them, do it, you won't regret it. Now I am in their position, trust me, you won't regret it, you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. They were right.  Good luck.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 1 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 1 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 185 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 273 views