Always hungry?

MF_Brooklyn
on 3/9/16 10:42 am

Didn't add this to m previous "I'm back!" post, but does anyone else that is about a year or more out feel hungry ALL THE TIME? 

I know that after a year, the body is more used to foods and I rarely have issues. But I can eat half a sandwich and then go back for a bite in 20 mins and then 3 more bites in another 30 mins and before I know it, I've no longer just had "half a sandwich for lunch". 

Do you use a PPI every day? Is i****er, water, water? Any other tips? I am also in the process of separating emotional hunger and comfort of food with my mind and my body. But in the meantime, I wonder if I'm hungry and giving in to those feelings of hunger too soon. 

Dee R.
on 3/9/16 11:12 am - CA

I'm 15 months out and still NEVER get hungry!  I literally forget to eat on the weekends sometimes.

I also take a PPI daily. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/9/16 11:39 am

too many carbs can make me very hungry the next day.  Sandwich = bread;bread =carbs and cravings... 

I avoid that. Instead of a sandwich - I use cold cuts and some veggies..1/2 avocado - for good fats...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MF_Brooklyn
on 3/9/16 11:58 am

Good point! I always do greek yogurt in the morning, something WITH a chocolate premier shake.. lunch is usually just a caprese salad but by night the easiest things (i live alone and hate cooking for one) do tend to be peanut butter and crackers or a sushi roll. AND to prove your point, i get hungrier at night. I will really stick to that and see what works, thank you for the reminder!

bytheriver
on 3/9/16 7:04 pm - Puerto Rico

And yes, do a PPI every day. OTC Nexium is the best, so far.

Bufflehead
on 3/9/16 11:45 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I second Hala B. The more carbs you eat, the hungrier you will get. They will never satisfy you, they will only make you hungrier. Not just the next day, within the hour. Stick with lean/unprocessed proteins, healthy fats, and green veggies and watch your hunger go down.

MF_Brooklyn
on 3/9/16 11:59 am

Thank you. I do find my lean proteins a bit limited for someone who sticks to fish, but I'll have to get more creative. If you think of anything else, let me know! Appreciate the response 

Bufflehead
on 3/9/16 2:27 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Hey, I am not a pescatarian but I could easily be one, I eat it at least once a day, frequently twice a day. Some regular items on my shopping list and how I prepare them (trigger warning: I like easy, convenient food and am a lazy "cook" -- if this sort of food prep gives you hives, probably best to keep scrolling, lol):

--bags of frozen jumbo scallops and raw, peeled, deveined shrimp from Trader Joe's. I often put a serving in the fridge to thaw before I go to bed and then have them broiled or sauteed the next morning for breakfast. There is nothing wrong with scallops or shrimp for breakfast!

--packets of flavored tuna and salmon. They also make good breakfasts as well as snacks.

--canned sardines - WITH bones and skin, lots of healthy fats plus calcium and iron here. One of my favorite dinners is sardines mashed up with ripe avocado and some sort of sauce (vodka sauce, curry sauce, BBQ sauce, harissa sauce, anything else that goes well with fish). Put in a small ramekin and bake in a 375 oven for 5 minutes. Take out, break an egg on top, and bake for another 9 minutes or so. You can add some shredded cheese to melt on top at the last minute if you have the spare calories. You can also use shredded dark leafy greens like spinach or kale in place of avocado. Frozen greens work fine.

--I buy fresh grilled salmon at my local gourmet market. Also canned mackerel, herring, anchovy, and octopus filets.

--I buy marlin jerky from Amazon (the onion pepper flavor is my favorite) and salmon jerky from Trader Joe's for snacks

And if you eat eggs, these are a great staple. Hardboiled eggs instead of a sandwich for lunch. Scrambled curry eggs for breakfast. Korean steamed eggs for dinner. So many options!

MF_Brooklyn
on 3/9/16 2:32 pm

OK. You are amazing. That is just what I needed. INCREDIBLE tips. How many calories do you usually shoot for in a day? And are you a gym rat? 

For the first time in a long time I feel like I am in such a rut and don't feel as energetic or happy and healthy as I used to. very lethargic and bloated. You woudl think I ate a loaf of bread! I keep it very low carb, but now I'm going toreally remove some simple sugars as well. thanks again! 

Sandra F.
on 3/10/16 5:47 am

Thanks for the post.  I am battling the same thing (17 months out) and needed the same tips.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 307 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 354 views