Multivitamin makes me sick

LosingLola
on 3/12/16 12:05 am

Hi all,

I had my sleeve done on 3/8 and, as expected, I am struggling to get on enough fluids let alone protein. After taking my multivitamin tonight I actually heaved. Nothing came up but a tiny bit of water and I was left with a metallic/bloody taste in my mouth. I am now afraid to try the vitamin again because the spasms really hurt. I was looking a vitamin patches as a possible alternative for the multi. Anyone using them and had good results in their blood work?  They seem too good to be true which always gives me pause...otherwise, any recommendations for a good liquid multivitamin?  I just don't think I will be able to convince myself to try again with the ones that I have.  

Thanks in advance!

cappy11448
on 3/12/16 3:54 am

I couldn't tolerate anything sweet after surgery, so I'd throw up my vitamins.  My NP had me crush the vitamiins into a small amount of plain greek yogurt, and that I could tolerate.  I don't know if it will help for you, but it may be worth a try.

good luck

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

joanne0658
on 3/12/16 4:00 am

I'm only almost 8 months out from VSG but the patch has worked great for me.  My labs (every three months) come back on target in the center of their given range.  My first post-op visit, when I saw both the nutritionist and my physician . . . . the nutritionist poo-poo'd them, doc was fine.  . . so I continued.  

So many medications are delivered via transdermal patch.  As long as you get blood work done as prescribed by your physician, if they aren't doing the "job", you'll know and can adjust accordingly :).

As a side note: they aren'****erproof and are best applied after showering on an area without moisturizer !

Jo

Age: 60 | Height: 5'3.5 | Surgery Date: 07/24/15 | Starting Weight: 292 | Surgery Weight: 267 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 149 | WL so far: 143 lbs

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/12/16 6:28 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I mostly took the chewable vitamins & I didn't have a problem, later on taking them on an empty stomach bothered it, so I would take them after I had some protein & I've done ok. I did buy the patch but haven't used the multi vitamin one yet. I wanted to finish up the chewables, get blood work done, then use the patches repeat the test & compare.

Others here have used the patch & have gotten great results from them. If you get the patch, get it now while its 40% off. I think the sale is over at the end of this month.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Sarah M.
on 3/12/16 7:02 am - San Francisco Bay Area, CA
VSG on 01/19/15

I had the same issue - make sure you take them when you have some protein shake in your stomach.  

The ABSM (or whatever the professional society of bariatric surgeons is called) recommends chewables until 1 year out.  So be thoughtful and check with your doctor.  That said, I didn't make it.  I started using patches around 6 months out and all labs/blood work has been great.  

VSG 1/19/15 | HW: 262 | SW: 255 | CW: 146 (3/20/16)

LosingLola
on 3/12/16 7:41 am

Thanks for the replies!  I definitely am going to contact my surgeon to see what he recommends, patch or chewable. I am afraid that I won't tolerate the chewable after last night's episode so I am leaning toward the patch for sure. 

SilverGirl2015
on 3/12/16 8:14 am

I had my VSG 8/1/15.  Every dayI take a centrum chewable and two chewable biotin.  It works great for me.  You are very early out still so give your innards a chance to heal! Most protein drinks are vitamin supplemented so you should be okay for a short while just using them until you can tolerate vitamin pills or chewables.  Good luck with everything, honestly every day gets better and better!

kkllbb
on 3/12/16 8:29 am
VSG on 03/07/16

I had my surgery on March.  I bought Fusion chewable prior to the surgery and could not tolerate them then, so I bought Flintstone Complete Gummies.  I take 2 twice a day.  They were on the list that my surgeon recommended.

They're sweet, but taste pretty good.

happyteacher
on 3/12/16 10:09 am

You may want to try the patch. The multi is available at patchmd.com, and there is always a promo code that gets 30%-40% off. If you can't find the code, post back here and I will help you track it down. Even better is that the patch was the only multi to get my labs up into the normal range- the other ones recommended by the bariatric center helped, but I was always low to very low in a few areas. Others on the board here are reporting that their labs improved as well using them. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Lemily
on 3/17/16 10:30 am
VSG on 01/16/14

You are still so early on so don't freak about getting the protein in. Make sure you stay hydrated. I could not tolerate regular water but when I mixed crystal light in, I seemed to keep it down. More and more protein will come in time. Right now, if you are on solids et al, your job is trying to reteach yourself how to eat. take your time. an ounce of food right now should take you 1/2 hour to eat. I used baby spoons...no joke. I would eat maybe 1/4 greek yogurt at first, put my spoon down and wait a minute, and do the same. Took me 1/2 hour. I was full. Then would go back in another 45 minutes, and try to eat more.

I also could not tolerate protein shakes...they were gross. Then I started making iced coffee (brew a cup let is sit at room temp), add protein powder, and then let it sit in fridge overnight. For the past 2 years I've had one almost every day (I don't add sugar or sweetener or milk).

Second, on vitamins, if they are the chewable kind, I would suck on them like a candy. I could not take chewing them...it made me want to vomit. Eventually they dissolve, but you don't get that metallic taste that way.

Again, you are only 1+ weeks out from surgery! It will and does get better...promise!