Now doing my preoperative diet and I'm so darn hungry :( Help!!!!!!1

Lindseydean1992
on 3/12/16 10:51 pm

I finally got my surgery date. March 24th. And I am doing my preoperative diet with mostly liquids but I keep sneaking in two solid meals because I am starving doing only liquids! I am drinking plenty of water but I just wanna eat solid food all day long :( This is harder than I thought it would be! But Of course I want to do what I am supposed to!

Did anybody do what I did and had no problems with surgery?? I wanna know. This is only my 3rd day doing it and I just want to eat a big chocolate cake and a pizza!!! Will all be ok as long as I drink tons of water? 

cappy11448
on 3/13/16 6:57 am

Hi,

I think the pre-op liquid diet was the hardest part for me.  After surgery, you have the changes in your body from the surgery to help support the weight loss.  But that liquid diet pre-surgery is tough.

I know its a little late for this suggestion, but going low carb before the liquid diet can help.  A lot of the food cravings can be caused by carb withdrawal.  I have to keep my diet low carb even in maintenance or it would be all over for me.  The carb cravings would win.

What I'd suggest for you now is go low carb ASAP, even if you cheat on the liquid diet.  The white-knuckle part of breaking the carb habit should be over in 2 or 3 days, and then it will be easier. 

Good luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

(deactivated member)
on 3/13/16 7:03 am

Every Dr seems to have different pre-surgical requirements. I was allowed shakes and then salad and one small meal for dinner till 4 days before surgery. I could also add fruit to my shakes or a little yogurt . I found the shakes worked better for me if I blended them with lots of chopped up ice and then just kept sipping as the ice melted. Kinda like a slurpee.

4 days before surgery it was on to clear liquids. I not only go****ers with protein in them but added those squeezy protein tubes you can buy to them. It is very hard but the goal is worth it. It does get easier as your body seems to adjust and by the last day or two I found it easier than I expected. Of course by then my mind was more on the travel (I went to Mexico) and the surgery than food.

I agree with the previous poster than getting off the carbs is the hardest part.

Good luck. You OH family is rooting for you.

Donna L.
on 3/13/16 9:17 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I had horrible issues with hunger and not eating pre-op while on the liquid diet.  It was a very difficult struggle.  The times I flubbed I made sure to eat low-carb, as low-carb food still helps release the stored glycogen in the liver which shrinks it.  What I wound up doing was have my "emergency kit" - it had a book I enjoyed, coloring materials, some crochet stuff, etc.  When I felt the overwhelming urge to eat I would pull something from my kit, or I would call a friend for support instead of eating.  The latter really helped the most, since the desire to eat is psychological as well as biological.  

Once your body adapts to the low carb liquid diet it is easier and your hunger drops, but you need to make it through 3-4 days first.  Just take it a day at a time.  Focus on something else or redirect yourself when you need to eat.  I was able to make it even with my severe binge eating disorder.  There is nothing special about me, so if I was able to do it anyone can!  There were definitely mistakes, but what matters is trying your best and being 100% honest with the surgeon and his or her staff.  Post-op liquids only is so much easier it was sort of ridiculous.  It was like a magic tramsformation for me.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/13/16 9:29 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Gota calm down and focus on the prize here, your going to get WLS soon.  So stop with sneaking things it's only making this harder.  I am on day 13 of my preop, I go in tomorrow for my WLS.  Your issue is sugar, judging from your desire to gobble up pizza and cake I think your just on a carb crash.  It can make you crabby, hungry, feel like you have a cold, and really ran down.  So stop the carbs now, no more sneaking and just stick on your shakes.  There is everything you need in there, the doctor didn't prescribe something that would kill you right? :-)  

It was hard for me days 2 and 3, I had a horrible headache I even staid home from work from.  Try mixing some unflavored protein powder with some higher sodium chicken broth.  The salt that I'd been washing outa of my body via the 60-80oz of water also was a source of my headaches.  I never have drank so my fluid in a day.  It's rather refreshing, and now I wan****er all the time.  It also helps you stay "full" between shakes.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

luvmypuggies
on 3/13/16 12:27 pm

I'll echo the "go low-carb" suggestions to make it easier, but remember that a primary reason for the pre-op diet is to make your surgery as safe as possible.  Docs seem to have different preferences, but they are not trying to torture you, they just want your body in the best condition possible to ensure a successful procedure.  I kept that in mind, and it took away a lot of the psychological "choice" for me - cheating was not an option when safety was the goal.  In my mind, there was no more agonizing or waffling (no pun intended :) - it's either allowed or not allowed.  It's only for a couple of weeks - you can do this!

Hang in there!! 

Lindseydean1992
on 3/16/16 12:43 pm

Thank you :)

BREE_
on 3/14/16 5:26 am
VSG on 03/21/16

YES YOU SHOULDNT BE EATING..IM ON THE 2 WEEK LIQUID DIET NOW AND HAS TO BE ONLY LIQUIDS OR YOU CAN RICK LOSING YOU APPT DIET THE WHOLE REASON FOR THIS IS THAT YOU CAN LOSE WEIGHT BEFORE THE SURGERY DATE AND WHEN YOU DO LOSE YOU LOSE IT AROUND THE KIDNEY 1ST SO ITS EASIER FOR THEM TO GO IN AND DO THEIR JOB..IF THE DAY OF THE SURGERY YOUR KIDNEY ISNT HOW ITS SUPPOST TO BE THEY WILL JUST CLOSE YOU UP AND NOT EVEN DO THE SURGERY..THATS WHY IVE BEEN STRICT AND KEEPING TO WHAT THEY TILL ME THE 3RD WAS THE HARDEST BUT AFTER THAT LIKE EVERYONE SAID IT GETS EASIER! IM NOW ON MY 2ND WEEK AND NEXT WEEK IS MY SURGERY...MY ADVICE PLEASE STICK TO WHAT YOUR DR TOLD YOU ..YOU WOULDNT WANT TO GO THREW ALL THIS JUST FOR THEM TO CANCEL IT YOU KNOW..BEST OF LUCK

ladygodiva1228
on 3/14/16 8:17 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On March 13, 2016 at 6:51 AM Pacific Time, Lindseydean1992 wrote:

I finally got my surgery date. March 24th. And I am doing my preoperative diet with mostly liquids but I keep sneaking in two solid meals because I am starving doing only liquids! I am drinking plenty of water but I just wanna eat solid food all day long :( This is harder than I thought it would be! But Of course I want to do what I am supposed to!

Did anybody do what I did and had no problems with surgery?? I wanna know. This is only my 3rd day doing it and I just want to eat a big chocolate cake and a pizza!!! Will all be ok as long as I drink tons of water? 

It's really hard to say if you will be OK or not.  If you are supposed to be on strictly liquids, but are eating solids you have to be prepared to have your surgery cancelled. 

Your surgeon could go in and your liver not be shrunk enough that they will just close you up and make you wait.  Or you could be fine.  The pre-op diet can be tough, but remember your surgeon has their reason why they have you doing it.

You have to white knuckle it and follow it to the T so you have a safe surgery.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/14/16 8:32 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On March 13, 2016 at 6:51 AM Pacific Time, Lindseydean1992 wrote:

Call your surgeon and ask. Some doctors will cancel surgery if your liver hasn't shrunk enough or if you haven't been compliant.

You need to get your head in the game. If you can't stick to your pre-op diet now, you're going to have a rough time post-op. If you "cheat" at that point and eat something you're not approved for, you could hurt yourself very badly or risk VERY serious complications.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views